Help with HP laptop freezing

What's Hot
citizen68citizen68 Frets: 172
My daughter's HP G62 B30 laptop has started locking up when the power adaptor is connected. This doesn't happen when running on battery.

I have tried different power management schemes in the control panel but it's still happening. Next step was to buy a new power adaptor & try that - no joy it is still freezing.

When we got the laptop I immediately created 4 discs to restore it to factory conditions - like an asshole however I have mislaid the discs and HP support software won't let me make another set :(

I've asked my daughter to save all the files she wants to keep so I can push ahead with some other method of factory settings restoration. Just wondering if this rings a bell with any of you I.T. experts or if anyone could suggest any other solutions. The new adaptor I gor seems only to be putting out 17.5v instead of the required 18.5v so I've ordered another one but otherwise this thing has me ripping my hair out. Thanks a million for any help!
Seemed like a good idea.....

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Trying the factory image restore so here's hoping...

• I suspect it's going to be drivers - have you done any Windows updates recently, or maybe checked the HP website for recent advisories/patches?
    <space for hire>
  • Thanks DS - will a factory reset remedy the problem if it's driver related?

• Factory reset appears to have sorted it - daughter's a happy chappy again ;))

• IanpdqIanpdq Frets: 131
    edited February 2014
    Download this and run it every week it will help to keep it running smoothly I use it on all my computers the free one   http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks Ian - I have cc on my movie/internet desktop - must tell the 2 ladies of the house to put it on their notebooks ;)

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Mine was the same, then the motherboard packed up.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• citizen68 said:
    Thanks DS - will a factory reset remedy the problem if it's driver related?
    Yes it would (and clearly has), but the problem will possibly come back when you do all the Windows updates again - which you should do anyway for security reasons. I'd advise doing all your updates again (before reinstalling all your software), then see if the problem comes back. If not, you're golden; if it does, at least you haven't been through the hassle of reinstalling everything before you have to wipe it again.

It it does come back, then you'll need to look at the updates which were installed and see if there are any relevant patches or hotfixes on the HP site; they're usually pretty good at keeping on top of these things, so there should be something around if there's a known problem.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gjonesygjonesy Frets: 145
    had a similar problem recently with a HP laptop constantly crashing with internet explorer, turns out it was a windows update, follow the advice of @digitalscream and you should be good
  • Thanks for the advice - notebook now fully updated & no sign of the problem coming back as yet but will keep an eye on the updates..