NPD Incoming - Empress Echo System

What's Hot
BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218

Months ago I pre-ordered an Empress Echo System Dual Delay, and it's now paid for and arriving tomorrow!

I have been drooling over these for ages. The ability to have any 2 delay types running together in parallel or series, and knowing how good their VMSD is, I'm very excited to see how this compares to the Timeline. I'll report back...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    This is relevant to my interests 
  • This is relevant to my interests 
    Excellent. I'll write some kind of review here. I worked out I can fit my Strymon Sunset, H9 Max, the Echo System and the Ojai on a Nano+ for a versatile mini-board.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Waiting for it to arrive in the store aswell to have a go. Super excited!
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited June 2017
    So, after a lot of testing out the Echosystem, I came to a couple of conclusions:

1. The Empress Echosystem is an absolutely stunning delay pedal.
    2. I still prefer my Timeline.

I'll go into point 1 first, then explain point 2 and why I took the Empress back today and stuck with the Timeline.

The variety of sounds you get with the Echosystem is huge, and almost every delay type shines. All delay types are here:

https://empresseffects.com/products/echosystem

My personal favourites:

3 of the 4 the tape delay types (apart from Old Tape, not many repeats even at higher feedback settings), the new tape, Echoplex and Space Echo options are gorgeous, lovely modulation on all of them.

Analogue: the DMM and Maxon-style delays worked really well, with the DMM emulation really nailing the chorusing and flangeing warble.

Multi delay is really clever, allows you to tap out a particular pattern and control the speed of that pattern.

There is one of the Ambient delay options called "Drunk Ewok" (!!!) and it's a lovely multi-tap delay that works well when stacked.

The delay+Reverb options are marvellous. Once you get the right blend, you can get some huge expansive sounds, definitely my second favourite delay type on here after the tape delays.

Reverse, and Stutter were also great, but I will say the Filter delays were a bit of a let down, didn't do it for me.

Overall stunning sounds, and that's before you start stacking different delay sounds. I can't describe in great depth, this is one you really have to try yourself, but you can have any two delay types running in series, parallel and left & right (with 2 amps in stereo). Stack the delay+reverb with a tape delay, reverse, BBD style analogue delay, and you can get some stunning sounds. This really is a magnificent pedal.

However, as per point 2, I kept my Timeline and took the Echosystem back: firstly, because I don't have room for 2 complex multi-delay pedals in my arsenal, and secondly, the DUI. I am so used to the format, layout and the ease of use of the Timeline, that I can't let it go. I can easily tweak and tinker with sounds on the Strymon simply because I'm familiar with it, and adjusting the parameters is easy and clear. While the DUI on the Echosystem isn't bad, it just didn't sit with me, having Thing 1 and Thing 2 with changeable functions, setting the tempo/tap ratio over 2 stacked delays, variation in feedback/repeats between delay types was very disparate at times, and I really wanted a screen to look at the parameters and indeed the tempo of the delays.

I'm not saying the Echosystem's layout is impossible to use, anyone could get used to it over time, but from the get-go, it was less elegant than the Timeline. So out of 2 great multi-delays, the Timeline had to stay.

But your own experiences may vary. This pedal sounds so so good, would still recommend it very highly.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Has been my gripe with all of the empress pedals but especially the vmsd. You have to really learn the pedals and I found it a pita. Had hoped the Echosystem improved things a lot. Seems not.
  • Has been my gripe with all of the empress pedals but especially the vmsd. You have to really learn the pedals and I found it a pita. Had hoped the Echosystem improved things a lot. Seems not.
    It's basically the same layout as the Reverb. It seems to be an improvement on VMSD, but still find the Strymons way easier.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Good honest review mate - appreciate it !

I really fancied one of these, but never rated the UI of the VMSD either.
  • I had the white super delay. Tbh. It was good. But the stand out was the reverse C. That was stunning. I don't know how to reproduce that on anything else. Otherwise it was OK but nothing that really stood out.

The echolution deluxe on the other hand I do miss

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    I'd still very much like one. If I ever come to heavy touring again, I might take the decision to protect the Moog and take it off the board... this would be my first choice to replace it for live. 
  • ruomaruoma Frets: 67
    Currently comparing it to my mf104msd and Dunlop echoplex. Certainly not as huge sounding as the moog, that thing just oozes headroom and is why it remains my favorite. It really is just a delay on top of your sound. The Dunlop has a very distinct and complex flutter that I really like. The echo system doesn't quite get there with it's echoplex setting, but it's modern tape setting is also very beautiful. All in all, initial 1st day impressions, I would say beautiful sounds, flexible, but not as big sounding as the moog, which I suspect only people who've used the moog will be able to understand as I haven't found that on any other pedal. 
  • I've been listening to some online demos of the Echo System and it does sound superb. It does a proper stereo delay which I couldn't really get from the Timeline.

The lack of a digital display is a major downer for. For the price they are asking (£459) it is crazy omission.

Still want one though.