The Strymon Sunset.. Really That Good?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6097
Strymon seem to be kicking up a bit of a storm with their new Sunset distortion pedal. Is it really that good?
I know a few of you chaps have purchased this pedal recently... does it live up to your expectations.. or is this a matter of the king's new clothes?

Being devil's advocate here. would you swap it for a Jester or for a Boss OD-1X and DS-1X combination?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited June 2017
    I have a Sunset and I am still exploring with it, especially pushing one drive into another, there are so many combinations. I'm really liking it. I wouldn't swap it. I really like the Ge topology which is the Klon voice, and on side 2 the 2Stage and Hard topologies sound great for higher gain stuff, although the Hard can get a little flabby in the low end when the drive is pushed up, I keep it below noon and that's enough gain for me.

It's an overdrive for sure and won't do a scooped metal hi gain tone, although as a boost it could help push a driven amp into that territory.

It has plenty of headroom and plenty enough variation in the voicings and enough range in the tone controls to be very flexible.

• I got one recently and it's brilliant. Best thing is its versatility. It has a bright switch that, in the negative setting, works really well with bright Fender amps. I've got a Klon, TS, Treble Boost, a 2Stage gain, a Rat and a JFet boost, with 18 stacking options, soft switching, a favourite switch option, expression input, noise reduction function...it's a lot for £300. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BintyTwanger77BintyTwanger77 Frets: 2218
    edited June 2017
    I'd add that the Sunset has not led me to selling off all my other drives, but it is a brilliant addition to a mini-board and saves on board space...and it really does sound great.
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    I'll just echo what everyone has said, got mine a few weeks back and I'm loving it. The Ge boost is fantastic, the Sunset has enabled me to make a small board uncluttered by three or four boosts and overdrives, it's a great little package that I'm still exploring. Go get one, you won't be disappointed.
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    zepp76 said:
    I'll just echo what everyone has said, got mine a few weeks back and I'm loving it. The Ge boost is fantastic, the Sunset has enabled me to make a small board uncluttered by three or four boosts and overdrives, it's a great little package that I'm still exploring. Go get one, you won't be disappointed.
    Agreed, I use mine on a small board:

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2320
    edited June 2017
    I've been using it for a couple of months now.  After being a drive pedal junkie for the last 10 years it is the only drive pedal on my drive board.  ( I usually have 3 drives).
     Its great.  I love the expression pedal, and being able to tweak the drives very quickly.  It works with any guitar

Its even replaced my Rat which up until now has just stayed on the board in pretty much every band I've played in.

I've probably been through around the best part of 100 drive/distortion pedals over the years.    

I would say I was very close to returning the sunset initially, as it didn;t blow me away. but the more I;ve used it the more awesome it is!