Epiphone valve Jr help!

StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
Hi all I was playing through my new vj and the volume suddenly dropped to about a quarter, and now won't go any louder, I have reinserted the valves, checked for dry joints etc and theirs no smell from the transformer anyone have any ideas? 

I have bought a new celestion speaker and new valves which should be coming tomorrow or Friday I'm just really hoping I have not wasted this cash on a dead amp, I can't take it back as I did a cash outside eBay deal :( please help! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ricorico Frets: 1220
    What's the worst that could have happened? It's a pretty basic amp...
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    Yeah, not much to go wrong with those amps. If it's not a valve issue then take it to a tech who'll diagnose it within 1/2 hour. 
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5845
    edited June 2017
    @RiftAmps ;I was kind of hoping I could fix it myself, with some potential wisdom from here?...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    The worst that can happen is that it becomes a mod kit :). The cost of these is low enough that the chassis, cabinet and transformers are worth the price…

Actually not quite the worst, there is a very small chance that it could be the output transformer, but it's unlikely. More likely it's a valve, or if not that then a resistor or cap.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

@ICBM thanks bud, I'll  stick the new valves I it and if it's still not good bite the bullet and take it to a tech, might get some additional mods do e at the same time :) 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72255
    @ICBM thanks bud, I'll  stick the new valves I it and if it's still not good bite the bullet and take it to a tech, might get some additional mods do e at the same time :) 
    Change the valves one at a time so you know which (if either) is the culprit - it won't be both.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Good plan, I'm quite looking forward to getting this up and running, it's sounded great before today!