Sound quality, no amps just DI

mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
Chris the guy on left playing 335.  He's going thorough my digitech GSP1101, Groove Tube Trio pramp setup at the band jam I help run.  Fairly sure this preset that I tweaked was either sans valve pre or just clean valve pre with gsp doing all the gain etc.  first time he had brought 335 so had to setup a suitable sound very quickly (afraid other guy was in joyo American and actually sounded much better than vid shows but think angle to pa speaker frim phone made it sound too thin and a little quieter).

Anyway just wondered what people thought of sound for a hastily dialled in setup (talking 30-40secs).

No amps involved, gsp1101 with GT trio in loop direct to PA (floor monitors were in use)

https://video.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/19190312_175814302954524_6250019379593871360_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=b60fb99bf293f9cd476652e3b240574c&oe=594324C6
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    I get a 'URL signature expired' message from that - it worked last night, and I briefly listened to it, but I wanted another go this morning at louder volume…

Failing that, my impression from last night was that the 335 sounded a lot better than the Les Paul. Hard to tell if it was a 'great' tone or not but it seemed fine for a small pub gig - I've heard much worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• mr-macmr-mac Frets: 200
    edited June 2017
    Hmmm for some odd reason link changed which is strange.  LP sound suffered I think from me standing off centre on pa due to small venue and how congested it can sound I moved guitars a bit to left and a bit to right in mix so live LP didn't sound as bad.

only mistake I made with 335 sound is whatever i left him with didn't clean up as much as he likes as he uses his playing and volume control on guitar to change tone and volume.  But like I say on a new guitar he hadnt brought before, and limited time I canny crumble too much.  Like I say it's a band jam/open mic and some of the sounds I have heard before or just there's an amp and they are left to plug in and and have a quick twiddle themselves to sort something kinda nearly acceptable.

https://video.fman2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/19190312_175814302954524_6250019379593871360_n.mp4?efg=eyJ2ZW5jb2RlX3RhZyI6InN2ZV9zZCJ9&oh=5600233f77d0fbca27a47f41503c8225&oe=5943DB96
    edited June 2017
    If link changes again its about 3rd thing down titled Superb stuff from Chris,....... on here till I can find a new home for it.  One day soon (when money saved) I'll be able to capture the whole jam multitrack which I am looking forward to https://m.facebook.com/JLiJB/

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72227
    mr-mac said:
    Hmmm for some odd reason link changed which is strange.
    The new one is working, I've listened at more volume now :).

mr-mac said:

only mistake I made with 335 sound is whatever i left him with didn't clean up as much as he likes as he uses his playing and volume control on guitar to change tone and volume.
    That's the main criticism I would have - the sound is very unvarying, even though it's clear he's using the guitar controls. But given the recording and what you can guess from the ambient sound in the room it's not bad at all - if you'd said it was a small valve amp I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't.

The Les Paul sounds tinny and one-dimensional by comparison, and I don't think its just the position relative to the PA - it just doesn't have the woodiness to it that the 335 sound does - which may also be down to the guitar of course!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

edited June 2017
    Yep, hit the mark first week he came with his LP and went amazingly from warm clean to gain loud.  Think I tweaked it after that song and got an improved 335.  Luckily I picked up a 2nd gsp1101 for £50 on gumtree (didn't have c63 and power button always on) so next time both guys should be through a digitech gsp1101 (then will save each time and tweak again so hopefully have a few presets just for them that are spot on).

loving the flaxability of gsp with floorboard and trio pre all midi linked.  Getting some proper epic tones from it.  Ideal world a small module to add power tube sound to mix but canny grumble without
    Think the 335 is a historic re-issue and LP is a higher end custom.  It defo didn't sound as thin and anaemic standing there though :)