Anyone using a looper as a practice aid ???!!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
I'm not really much of a pedal person , (I've been playing the same overdrive pedal since 1983!!) but lately I've been spending a lot of time trying to work out 2nd guitar parts on practice recordings , and it occurred to me that a looper pedal might work for me . I could record the riff part I'm working on and experiment with adding/writing a 2nd part while it loops round . Anyone using a looper as a practice aid ??!!!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Great tool for that. If I'm just jamming something and if it sounds good I can loop it and listen back instantly. Or if I'm learning a cover (I play in covers bands) it's a quick easy way of listening back and spotting where I need to tighten up.
  • Yes, I use me Zoom G3X: set up a drum beat, play some chordy bits, try and think of things to play over the top of it. Good for practising note choice, feel, timing, etc etc. Especially good for learning to leave more.............gaps.
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    That was all I used a looper for.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I sometimes loop something in the rehearsal studio using my DD7 so I can show a basic beat idea to our drummer.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    All the time. It's become indispensable for me. I use a Boss RC-2 which is great but the drum patterns are limited. It would be nice to have one that could be MIDI synced to my drum machine.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • Yep. RC2 user here as well. I only really use it for practice. Its a very useful practice tool. It would be a bit of a pain in the arse to use live. In fact does anyone use one live here?
  • Don't use one live but do have some fun with my RC-20 - it has a mini-jack input so you can have the guitar going in one input, and the other goes to the iPad which opens up a load of new opportunities from drums, keys, synths etc.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2912
    I use my G3, the drum machine really makes the looper useful. The models and effects only add to it. It's also the easiest to use, IMO.
  • JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    edited February 2014
    Line 6 jm4 is the looper i use. Its got tons on it to keep you busy. I havent managed to use my RC 20
    as this has all the drums and effects i need. Great practice tool for what you want.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    equalsql said:
    All the time. It's become indispensable for me. I use a Boss RC-2 which is great but the drum patterns are limited. It would be nice to have one that could be MIDI synced to my drum machine.

^
    This. I use one all the time to practice.

Check this out:

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    Not so much as a practice aid, although I really should.

I spend alot(to much) of time doing the baba o'riley intro like on the TC vid.

My ditto looper is less practice aid and more the jamming friend I've never had!

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    edited February 2014
    i used one for jazz improv practice, much better than band in a box as i had to nail the chords first and had to play a few rounds before i nailed it which helps in memorizing since i don't play jazz outside. But the most effective use was when I was practicing Eric Johnson 5tonics (writing down my own permutations) and needed to hear whether my licks had the same time-throwing effect (polyrhythms, odd-groupings etc) as the originals. I obviously looped the licks on top of the progression. Very effective but I got bored of trying to play smth 100% right in order to play over it. At some point I also thought of using it live when there are 2 gtr parts in the song but I'm doing enough tap-dancing already so I abandoned this too.. But generally it is very very useful. But as I said the real benefit of it imho is having to play what you don't actually need to 100% right as it helps memorising and understanding what sb else is doing in the song (rhythm, bass etc). Keep the metronome going though
  • I don't think I've ever heard of anyone amateur using one live, but maybe I don't go to enough acoustic open mic nights where all the Ed Sheeran and KT Tunstall wannabes are!
    I use the looper on my DD7 for practice nearly every time I practice now since I got it from these good forums a couple of months ago. It's so helpful for nailing a riff but mainly (and most importantly?) it's just so much fun!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4943
    I heard/saw a busker on Grafton Street in Dublin use an RC-2 to great effect.  Convinced me to get one!  The RC-3 I ended up with is not as intuitive to use as I expected but it works well.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited February 2014
    I'm happy with my 16 secs on my Digitech Delay (with multiple Overdub facility too). 

If I need anything more complex I mix up a keyboard part and rythm on my Korg Triton Extreme workstation or a mix in Cubase with EZ Drummer and some rudimentary loop wav files. Or I sample my guitar part into either so I don't forget the riff/prgression etc I run Guitar Rig 5 Pro which also helps sometimes! (if you stop keep changing rigs long enough to be creative!).

When you look - you probably have all the accompaniment tools already!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

I love the Ditto, but just spent big dollar on an Infinity Looper. Noice !

Looks like the Ditto will be sold onto some lucky person...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • /\ wow, I'd love an Infinity Looper. Let us know how you get on with it.

I used to play in an acoustic duo where I did a fair bit of looping with the Boss RC-20xl, always went down a storm. These days I just have a Ditto looper, but I've been tinkering with ambient/soundscape looping for a while so I'm possibly looking for something else (but a Big Sky is on the GAS list first).