Searching for those nice 'in-between-song' sounds...

What's Hot
DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
My noisy metal band are slowly but surely coming together nicely and I'd like our set to have minimal banter in between songs to keep it all flowing. Our vocalist does have a tendency to ramble so we'd like to put a stop to that. However, silence is definitely NOT golden and need some ideas for ways to fill those gaps.

Any interesting drone/noise pedals out there that I can just stomp on for noise in between songs? Or some kind of weird sampler? Oscillator? Would a looper be a good investment? Basically ANY ideas are welcome. As long as it doesn't involve me selling my entire guitar rig to fund it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4525
    edited June 2017
    My suggestion would be a looper .. great for little musical passages, i use the one on my TC Alter Ego but the ditto is just as good if not better
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    Just start the next song!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    DesVegas said:
    My suggestion would be a looper .. great for little musical passages
    Yeah that's what I'm thinking - the Hotone Wally is looking like a future investment.

Thing with loopers though...are you able to keep the loop going (well, the 'drone' of noise) if you stomp off and then on? So when we finish a song, I could just stomp on the looper straight away and BOOM...wall of weird noise.
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1993

I've been using a looper for this for a while. I just record an open chord and let it play out in between certain songs so I can check tune if needed. done it with the loopers on DD20, then Timeline, now helix.
    If I had time in sound check I'd pre record something weird with flanger and delay, but with quick changeover times its not always possible.

I've been looking at a Digitech JamMan to pre-record some samples and phrases.

• MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    edited June 2017
    Get a Boss Feedback Booster. If he starts talking, hold the pedal down and fill the venue with screeching feedback. This works even better if he has IEMs.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2017

Thing with loopers though...are you able to keep the loop going (well, the 'drone' of noise) if you stomp off and then on? So when we finish a song, I could just stomp on the looper straight away and BOOM...wall of weird noise.
    The Ditto looper will do this, not too sure about the Wally, although you can change the tempo / pitch of the loop on the Wally which you can't do with the Ditto
    The Digitech JamMan might come in handy. Good shout.
    DesVegas said:
    The Ditto looper will do this, not too sure about the Wally, although you can change the tempo / pitch of the loop on the Wally which you can't do with the Ditto.
    This is a massive selling point. The fact that it can't save the loop in memory like the Ditto is a minus point though. There must be a looper than can do both surely.
    Like i say, ive not been on the Wally so dont know if you can stop start the loop. i would imagine you can if its a designated looper unlike the Alter Ego which is a delay with a looper
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    1-2-3-4!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6053
    edited June 2017
    Boss Slicer. I've only had one a short while but the possibilities are endless. All you need do is hit a string, let it ring and the pedal will do the rest...
    JezWynd said:
    Boss Slicer. I've only had one a short while but the possibilities are endless. All you need do is hit a string, let it ring and the pedal will do the rest...
    Always been intrigued by the Slicer. Pity it's too big and too expensive for my liking. Perhaps some other pedal company should put their own spin on it and build it in a smaller enclosure.

Another idea I might try is to let the oscillation on my fuzz pedal (Meathead clone) run free and stick a tremolo and delay over the top of it.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    EHX Freeze or Super Ego maybe?
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    I can't decide if this is crackers or genius. Although oddly enough we kind of do this at one point in our set with a wooshing sound supplied by our keyboardist who has access to all sorts of noises. 
    Maybe an MP3 player with incidental noises/ music  and a foot controller for that? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    TTBZ said:
    EHX Freeze or Super Ego maybe?
    Ah forgot about these. Damn I forgot how chaotic some EHX effects are. The Super Ego in particular looks a lot of fun, although will have to be a second hand jobbie.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    You could get some samples loaded into an ipad or something and trigger them with that as well? 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ewalewal Frets: 2582
    edited June 2017
    I've got a JamMan having previously had a Dittox2. The JamMan wins in the scenario you describe because you can have multiple loops saved which you can kick in while you re-tune or whatever. I also use my JamMan to add pre-recorded drones to songs - loads of potential...
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Strippers.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6480
    Why are there gaps between your songs?