Searching for those nice 'in-between-song' sounds...

What's Hot

Comments

• DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    @impmann What the fuck is that? Looks...interesting.

Lots of great ideas here - I often wondered about the MP3 player/iPad ideas but not sure how to implement it. Not something I really want to mull over for too long as these gaps will only last at most around 20-30 seconds or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about a delay pedal that oscillates? Plenty around. Just hit a chord (with the amp turned down), turn feedback up, then change the pitch by playing with the time knob. 

Mad suggestion - is a guitar with a Floyd Rose a possibility? They won't go out of tune, thus no need to stop. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    There are a few different ways to control iPads, it's Airturn who seem to make the more durable ones. I think they are targeted as page turners for sheet music but will do mp3s as well as I understand it.
    30 seconds of Vivaldi, Cliff Richard, EastEnders theme,etc, might be fun. I wonder if 30 seconds of abstract noise each time would get on people's tits. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Dopesick said:
    @impmann What the fuck is that? Looks...interesting.

Lots of great ideas here - I often wondered about the MP3 player/iPad ideas but not sure how to implement it. Not something I really want to mull over for too long as these gaps will only last at most around 20-30 seconds or so.
    Its a little box that contains loops of 'meditative' sounds or music. It may be fun to just kick it in between tracks as a drone.

This may help:

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Bingo?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    EHX Random Tone Generator

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Clearly this is an opportunity to use a Korg Miku
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    When I say gaps between songs I'm not necessarily talking about standing there like a lemon for a minute while playing the Mr Blobby theme tune behind me - I will need to redial the settings on my Bitquest (which is a bit of a PITA to use live tbh) for the next song, and also to give everybody else in the band a bit of a breather, as we do tend to go pretty full on in terms of speed and intensity.

@ThePrettyDamned - the big delay 'armageddon' oscillating part happens at the end of the set!

@not_the_dj - that would be handy as well. Would have to get a loop switcher though cos of output only, but should be a doddle.

@EricTheWeary - never heard of AirTurn but I'll give it a peruse...although the idea of using my prehistoric dodgy iPad on stage fills me with dread the more I think about it.

I think at the moment the JamMan and the EHX triumvirate of the Freeze, Super Ego and RTG could be winning.

Cheers guys.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72206
    I thought metal bands had drum solos for this?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3581
    EHX do a range of 'keyboard' sounding pedals and the synth9

Or the MEL9

have some interesting noises available for guitarists that don't play keys.
    Run this through other pedal combinations and I bet you could upset lots of people.
    ;-)

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    ICBM said:
    Nothing excuses a drum solo. 'Drum solo' is an anagram of 'To the bar'
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VJIvesVJIves Frets: 466
    Any pedal that can go 100% wet with a hold function would be cool. I've used the Old Blood Dark Star for this kinda thing, and also the Count to Five, as you can turn that off and whatever loop you've recorded will still be on there when you turn it back on. Alternatively if you've got an a/b box you could have an output only device like the Electro Faustus Drone Thing, or the EHX RTG as someone else has already suggested.
    edited June 2017
    Electro Faustus do the photo theremin as well which looks like a world of laughs (not too expensive either).

The Drone Thing could be good for an intro.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    Suggestions

1 Drummer in the last band had a solution. Song ended and he would click 4 for the next song. Stopped faffing.
    2 Work out some single chord ambient stuff for a while then see 1.
    3 Simplify your system to what works efficiently. See 1. 
    4 Reverb
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16290
    In our set if it's a song with a guitar ( or harmonica) intro I'll just start, annoys me a bit that the rest of the band look to our singer for affirmation before playing their intros.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    If you use a bit-crusher for every song, does it really matter where the song starts and ends?
     :) 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1370
    @ICBM ; said:
    Deserves a wis and a LOL but can only give one.
  • Samples. For sure. We do it. And you can add clips from old movies or TV programmes. Or just timothy leary rambling

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    The cheap clone dual Loopers, of which there are many varieties but all the same under the hood ( I have the Harley Benton variant ) do pitch / speed adjustment as well as reverse and you can stop it and even remove the power without losing what you've got on it as long as you don't actually use the 2 second press to delete it. Do some funky high gain swells, then reverse them and do something else on overdub. Job done

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4516
    Gagaryn said:
    Bingo?
    Reminds me of a gig I did once where they did a raffle half way through set two.

The exact opposite of rock n roll
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom