Questions: Fender Concert II (Rivera era) - planning mods and footswitches

I have recently acquired a Rivera era Fender Concert II - mainly for the cleans but I have hopes to modify a little to focus the amp a little more once it's in my possession (a friend is looking after it right now).  The amp already has an Eminence RW+B speaker and I want to keep all the sounds Fender or Fender derived (i.e Boogie, not Marshall).  

Firstly:

The amp came without a footswitch.  Replacement footswitches with the 3mm jacks for reverb and lead channel are expensive:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/original-Fender-footswitch-dual-1-4-Rev-Lead-for-Rivera-Era-amps-EC-/292147806660?hash=item44055dc1c4:g:pQMAAOSwRXRZPfTX

Is it possible to take a cheaper version (see below) with RCA jacks and modify it for use with Rivera era amps?  If so, what might those modifications be if more than just a jack swap?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Black-Fender-Style-Dual-Button-Footswitch-with-RCA-plugs-/361993962398?hash=item544885839e:g:9M8AAOSwcwhVMtAx

Secondly:

I'm aware on another forum that there is a 50 page long thread on mods to the Concert II and it was continued another 24 pages in a new thread.  I've perused that thread and about 90% of it wasn't relevant to what I wanted to achieve.  So I would really like to tap the expertise on here and put together a (hopefully) short list of tweaks.

I'm aware of the following mods to improve the basic clean tone of the amp and push the lead channel towards Mesa Boogie territory:

1) Move the tone stack after the first preamp tube V2A for more gain (can use V4B as cathode follower after the tone stack).
2) Snip V1 snubber cap to allow more high frequencies on the clean channel
3) Switchable sag mod - insert resistor to equal the resistance of G234 rectifier tube (20w?) and find somewhere on the back to install the switch
4) Replace the 3.9K bias resistor with a 0-10K pot (also install a 5K, 1/2 watt resistor in parallel with pot so that the sweep would be from 0 to 5K and reduce risk of overheating valves if the pot should ever fail)
5) Replace the inadequately rated 47 ohm 1/2 watt resistor (on bias supply?) near the transformer with 1 watt version
6) 
Replace the stock 25uf cathode bypass cap on V4a with a .68uf to tighten up bass on Ch 2
7) 
Mullard (NOS) CV 4024 (if I can find one otherwise 12AX7) in Phase Invertor socket

May also consider:
Changing the .0022uf cap for the midboost (behind the volume pot on the board) to something that will help centre the mid boost frequency on 320Hz.

Are there any reliability mods or other tweaks that might push the gain channel towards Mesa or Super Champ territory? 

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    Bork said:
    mainly for the cleans ... 1) Move the tone stack after the first preamp tube V2A for more gain
    Does not compute.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72316
    Firstly - no, the only part of the standard Vib/Rev footswitch you can use is the casing. You will need to replace the switches, the cable, the plugs, and fit resistors and LEDs. This is the reason the original footswitches are so expensive.

Secondly - 

1 - I've never tried that, only moving it to after V4A, which does make it more Bassman(5F6-A) or Marshall-like.
    2 - That's what the bright switch is for. Snipping the cap will probably make the lead channel unstable since both channels use the first valve.
    3 - That would work. Setting the mains voltage selector to 260V with a 240V input also does a similar thing, although leaving the selector itself operational isn't a good idea - it would be better to move the function to a separate switch.
    4 - Yes, good idea. You probably don't need the resistor if you connect the unused terminal on the pot as well.
    5 - Essential. Many have been done already but if not then it should be.
    6 - Don't know, never tried it.
    7 - I've always preferred 12AT7s in BF/SF-type Fenders, but it wouldn't do any harm to try it.

Mid-boost cap - don't know.

Reliability mods - other than the 47-ohm resistor - not that I can think of. A beefier speaker than the stock (non-EV model) one is a good idea though, a lot blow. The Eminence is probably more than enough.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein