Tele Bridge screws turn in holes - '52 style screw threads too small?

jimificationjimification Frets: 161
edited June 2017 in Making & Modding
Hi, I'm finishing up putting together a nice parts tele. After tracking down some slot headed screws for the bridge (fixing the bridge to the body) I find they just turn in the pre-drilled holes. The screws I have are Fender vintage '52 tele style (Fender part no: 0018371049), like this:

https://www.customworldguitarparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/5/2/52_bridge_screws.jpg

Looking at the screws, I'm not surprised the threads don't bite - they're barely bigger than the shank. The body is USACG swamp ash and came with bridge fixing holes ready drilled but USACG know what they're doing, so I'd be surprised if the holes were drilled too big.

Any ideas on a fix for this? Am I better off plugging the holes with a toothpick or trying to find some slotted screws with a larger thread? Thanks for any advice!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    If it were me I'd plug the holes.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    Yes - use the wet-glue method with toothpicks.

Bear in mind it doesn't actually have to be that strong if it's through-body stringing, since the screws simply have to stop the bridge sliding forward a tiny bit - the vast majority of the tension is taken by the body itself.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• jimificationjimification Frets: 161
     Thanks for such a quick reply, guys, that's very helpful indeed and much appreciated.