Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Ikea GORM boards [AKA, help me sort out my pedalboard real estate]

What's Hot

Comments

• I'd be tempted to make two mini-gorms Drew,

If you put Wah, Volume, tuner, boost or two on the first, and then delays, verb, tap and amp controller on the second, it'd be easier to transport, and more flexible on a small stage.

For transport you could just get two cheap messenger bags, or perhaps one large backpack and stack them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrispy108chrispy108 Frets: 2336
    edited February 2014
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited February 2014
    Ok here is my board as I use it currently.

Here it is with a simulated pack out - 4 cables (thought 1 is a mic lead since I'm at home and most of my cables are elsewhere!) 1 speaker cable, 1 power plug for the PP2 (my Mesa has a fixed lead but another kettle lead will fit), one Mesa Roadster Cricket Bat (footswitch), super long footswitch cable, and there is still room for more cables.

Proof that it closes with all this stuff in.  Well actually it is just a picture of a closed box but I can tell you all the above stuff was inside haha...

Top view for PP2 cable.

And just in case, here is a picture showing that the cable fits through the hole.

I'm really happy with my PT2 HC.  The only thing I would say is to make sure you'd be happy with the weight of it.  The board is 5lb (so 2.3kg) but the hardcase is 17lb (7.7kg).  I don't find it a problem myself and I think the case itself is top notch.  Feels better quality than either of the amp flight cases I own.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I've had loads of different boards.
    I now have 2 pedal trains and a Bullcases heavy duty road case for touring (which admittedly I don't really do these days).

Seriously, the Pedaltrain are worth every penny.
  • Pedaltrains are really good... 

I went from Diago to PT Jr (with softcase) a couple of years ago and it's so much easier. I had to put wah/volume/expression off-board but having a smaller board for carrying about makes life so much simpler- having bags you can sling on a shoulder make load in/out a breeze.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23965
    Another PT user here. My old Diagos only get used for storage now. I want a bigger PT. Though. Only got a Jnr at the mo. Not quite enough
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    So many nice looking boards here!

I'm at the stage where my gear doesn't leave the house so I don't run a board as such.

Seeing the pics on here is inspiring me to at least build a small board/frame just to make everything tidier!

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Okay fuck it. Pt1 or pt2. Order it tomorrow when I'm less tipsy like a girl with dirty mudflaps
  • d8md8m Frets: 2431
    edited February 2014
    Buy both.

Then you can have a Pt3.

:)

• d8m;162142" said:
    Buy both.

Then you can have a Pt3.

:)
    or two PT1.5's. :o3
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Are you going the HC route?

The biggest decision is weight vs protection.  The 2 has a proper flightcase whereas the 1 is a lighter duty case.  You'll have to pick which is your priority if you're sure either is big enough for your pedals.
    At that point, weight is the overriding factor. The lower the weight the betterer.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7953
    edited February 2014
    The difference in weight is 8lb (3.6kg). I can't vouch for how good the lightweight (9lb/4.1kg) PT1 HC is you'll have to google it. The (17lb/7.7kg) PT2 HC flightcase is hench though.
  • Mono seem to do high quality lightweight gig bags for PT boards but pretty hefty prices!
    In some ways I'd prefer a PT1 style case to the PT2 style case. Just looks too hench!!

Those Mono gigbags look good, but yeah, kinda pricey for what they are I think!

Having trouble deciding between PT1 and PT2. I'm biting the bullet and accepting that whatever I use to switch my amp, it will sit on the floor either next to, or in front of the PT board. I'm trying to do with this expansion half in mind... knowing that I have a spare power tap, and that I'll have some space for another pedal, but then trying to think what I would want. (As an aside, I really wish the TC Nova pedals weren't so fucking noisy, otherwise I'd whack my Nova Modulator on there)

What I currently have figured out...

PT1:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/BoardDesigns/Pedaltrain1_22x12.5.jpg

PT2:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/630473/BoardDesigns/Pedaltrain2_24x12.5.jpg
  • Is the PT in a hard case, with the amp footswitch in some kind of bag any easier than just lugging the Diago around though?

I'd always want to be able to just put one board down, plug into guitar, amp and power and be good to go, can't be dealing with off board pedals and switches whilst I'm trying to setup. 

Unless you're flying, I don't see the need for a hard case on a pedalboard, it's not like pedals are going to get damaged inside a soft case when it's you doing the loading/unloading.

What about the PT3 softcase? Looks like you'd get everything on it, and would be lighter than the Diago.
  • nickb_boynickb_boy Frets: 1689
    @Drew_fx Just to throw another option in the mix, have you seen this board on EBay?
    Not sure how it would work out weight wise but it could be the right length to include your mega foot switch and there's some jack sockets keep it neat! 

• bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    nickb_boy said:
    @Drew_fx Just to throw another option in the mix, have you seen this board on EBay?
    Not sure how it would work out weight wise but it could be the right length to include your mega foot switch and there's some jack sockets keep it neat! 

Hmm, seems quite long tbh. Would give me too much space.

Is the PT in a hard case, with the amp footswitch in some kind of bag any easier than just lugging the Diago around though?

I'd always want to be able to just put one board down, plug into guitar, amp and power and be good to go, can't be dealing with off board pedals and switches whilst I'm trying to setup. 

Unless you're flying, I don't see the need for a hard case on a pedalboard, it's not like pedals are going to get damaged inside a soft case when it's you doing the loading/unloading.

What about the PT3 softcase? Looks like you'd get everything on it, and would be lighter than the Diago.
    I'll do a plot for my setup on a PT3, but I'm not sure it will fit actually.
    Yeah PT3 will result in some odd positionings of the pedals, where some of them will end up having to straddle a single bar... which looks a bit weak.