Matrix VB800

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
I'm on the hunt for a light weight small amp powerful enough to gig with unmiced. I saw Eric Gales a couple of weeks ago and he played with the Greg Howe signature DV Mark head and it sounded great. Have come close to pulling the trigger on one of those a couple of times but then remembered the matrix.

as they have been out for a while has anyone any experience of using them live? Enough headroom for a clean boost in the loop for solos?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ReverendReverend Frets: 4974
    Dan from Blind River and Pig Iron uses them all the time now. I've used mine once and it is decent but probably better for slightly quieter bands. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    You should add some of the little Quilters to your list.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
    I have had a bit of a look at the quilter stuff but it seems a little more expensive for what you get compared to the dv mark amp. Admittedly I have only had a quick look so will take a more detailed look 
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
    edited June 2017
    @simonk do you use a quilter? How are they? Loud enough for an unmiced pub gig? 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @simonk do you use a quilter? How are they? Loud enough for an unmiced pub gig? 
    Yes mate, I recently got a 101 Reverb and I like it lots - it sounds great and it's tiny. Paired with a Matrix 2x12 cab it can get bloody loud! I've not gigged it yet but have two this weekend (unmic'd in a pub on Friday and a festival on Saturday) I'm planning on using it for.
    I seem to remember @thomasw88 has one of the 200 watt Tone Blocks so he might like to chip in here too.
  • DopesickDopesick Frets: 1507
    I have the Quilter Tone Block 201 and I use it for band practices when I can't be arsed to lug my Matamp over. I guess it depends on the style of music but as I play in a very loud metal band, It is easily powerful to use unmic'ed.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    edited June 2017
    I have the Pro Block 200.  And  yes it is loud enough.  Sounds brilliant, takes pedals superbly, works well with buckers and single coils, great amp.

wee video of it here - using a bit of slapback and a very light drive from my strymon sunset.   It was about 10000 degrees so  please forgive the sloppy playing..

https://www.facebook.com/vvibeband/posts/1472972202766785?comment_id=1473048552759150&comment_tracking=%7B%22tn%22%3A%22R0%22%7D

• Quilter's are definitely worth a look at mate, the sound quality and the way they handle pedals is lovely.