Analog delay recommedations

What's Hot
A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
edited June 2017 in FX
Got a bit caught up looking at all the lovely analog or tape simulating digital delays out there (Old Blood, Catalinbread etc) and forgot that I'd actually like to try having a proper analog delay first. Heard some clips of old Boss DM-2s and they sounded like just what I was after - nothing too present, more of a grainy atmospheric background wash.

Any personal favs? Obviously a Carbon Copy would be a simple, solid choice but any ideas would be great - especially more interesting or varied ones! :P
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6129
    tFB Trader
    The Boss DM2Waza is stunning. easy to get, sounds fantastic and plenty of delay available 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    Can't recommend the DM-2w highly enough. If the DM-2 is what you're liking then go for it. I have an original DM-2 and the Waza and the Waza is superb. 
  • ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    I had a DM2 and loved it, moved onto a carbon copy (longer delay time, more useful modulation) and recently got a mooer ana echo (sounds so similar to the DM2 that I sold it!) 
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • Ben8010Ben8010 Frets: 150
    edited June 2017
    I'm a fan of the Carbon Copy. If "nothing too present, more of a grainy atmospheric background wash" is what you're after it will be great for that.

I don't think they still make them but the EQD Disaster Transport Jr. is sweet too - well worth a look (it's an analog voiced digital delay BTW). Might be able to find one second hand if they have stopped making them.

EDIT: There's also the Carbon Copy Bright for those that find the normal CC too dark. I haven't had any experience with them though so can't comment any further.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3017
    Another thumbs up for the Boss Waza craft dm-2w.
  • bwetsbwets Frets: 161
    I prefer the DM-2W to the Carbon Copy. The CC does have modulation though which the Boss doesn't.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3422
    Does that mean if you don't like the CC, you won't like the DM2W? I found the CC too dark. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    I'd like to try a DM-2W . I have a CC which does sound like what the OP is after, it's my (nearly) always on pedal. I also have a Minifooger which is king of the crazy noises for analogue delay ( if a bit pricey now) although it does a fine slapback,etc, if you want. 

The Seymour Duncan Vapour Trail might be the one to look at if you want more control over the modulation ( the CC has a button but internal trim pots).

If you did fancy some crazy noises the Sinvertek Fluid Time MKii packs a lot in and the DOD Rubberneck hits the shops in July. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3838
    I'm selling a Maxon AD9 Pro if you're interested? Lovely and warm.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I'm selling a Brigadier at the moment which is a great delay for atmosphere and blending into the background
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2236
    Analog delay thread and nobody has said Memory Man. 

Memory Man, thank me later. 
  • A_T_WA_T_W Frets: 66
    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, keep em coming! That Sinvertek thing looks like absolute madness in the best possible way ...
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    DM-2w is the one.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    If you've got the budget the Moogerfooger is very nice.  I borrowed one off my g/f's dad a while ago, it does sound lovely.  Costs as much as a decent used guitar though.
  • -NFM--NFM- Frets: 10
    edited June 2017
    My favourite straight analogue delay is the Catalinbread Montavillian Delay although they discontinued it last year so probably have to be a second hand find at this point!

The cool thing about the Montavillian is that its compander-less unlike most true analogue delays so it keeps a lot of top end frequencies & is really bright sounding rather than the dark tones a lot of analogue delays have (actually has a 'top-cut' control, to dial off the extra high end if desired!). Basically, the compander circuit is the reason for this in a lot of pedals - it COMPresses the signal going into bbd chips and exPANDs them back out on the other side so tends to lose high frequencies.

Moog MF Delay is also cool for an all analogue delay - you can you an expression pedal to alter the delay length on the fly and get some really cool effects.

Nearly bought one (my board is too full though!) but have a couple of other Moog pedals and they're solidly built and sound great 
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    edited June 2017
    I spent some time on the weekend hunting for analog delays myself, specifically something that gets a DM-2 tone with longer times or DMM tone in a smaller box. Out of all the modern contenders the Maxon ad-900 sounds lovely but is harder to find nowadays being discontinued.

After a fair bit of listening I found a demo for the Alexander pedals Amnesia and was wow'd, beautiful warm full range repeats. I have one on order and it should arrive tomorrow with luck.
  • vizviz Frets: 10690
    Keeley ibanez ad9 is gorgeous if you can find one. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    I like the Aqua Puss but I'm not much of a delay junkie. I just think it sounds good and rich with a lot of control from subtle to bonkers.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    I spent some time on the weekend hunting for analog delays myself, specifically something that gets a DM-2 tone with longer times or DMM tone in a smaller box. Out of all the modern contenders the Maxon ad-900 sounds lovely but is harder to find nowadays being discontinued.
    I'll second the Maxon AD900, it ended my search for an analog delay. I'd previously had the DM-2w but although they sound similar, the Maxon repeats melted away in such a nice way I opted for it over the Boss. Also, although the Boss has the possibility for longer repeat times, I tend to leave it set around 300-400ms most of the time and the Maxon excels in that range. You wouldn't be disappointed with either pedal.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    As we are close to having named every analogue delay on the market...the Ibanez mini delay is one of the cheaper ones, very simple and sounds good on the YouTube clips. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.