Portable Gear Setup

What's Hot
LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
edited June 2017 in Amps
I'm lazy.

These days you don't need to lug your 4x12 around for a gig and i really don't have the will power to lug bags of gear for each gig.

So i've been trying cut down on whats needed.

I now take a couple of guitars (one in a hard case and a cheaper back up in a soft sack just incase - doesn't usually make an appearance). Case holds guitar cables/straps etc.
POD HD500 in carry bag with mini OD pedals (as the OD sucks on the POD) in front pocket with all cables.
Latest cut down is a JOYO Bantamp Zombie and a blackstar 1x12 cab. Plenty loud enough for most, and can mic up if needed.

I can unload all my gear for a gig in one trip from the car. It's an awkward trip but it's still one trip

Ways to improve of this? 
If i got an open backed cab to store the bantamp in would that mess with the insides?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 368
    fender deluxe reverb in one hand, double soft case on my back, pedaltrain nano with 2 overdrives, a delay, EQ and tuner in the other hand. 

Leads are in the back of the deluxe :)
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9714
    Get a Wireless system with a massive range and you could perform from home remotely
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Joyo seem very coy about releasing a manual on that amp? The rating is 20watts 8 or 16 Ohms (?) but is a 4 Ohm load safe?

Storage in an open backed cab? Fine, just glue in some semi-rigid foam to protect/stabilize things.  Is the 1x12 Blackstar 16 Ohms? If so you could get another 16R cab and stack them. Give you better front projection and a dB or two increased sensitivity. Getting on for 115dB SPL at 1 mtr for 20 watts.

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited June 2017
    deleted. What was I thinking?
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Wait... you don't  need a 4x12?!?!
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1087
    Go acoustic haha
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    You could be a 'DJ' and you'd only need a laptop, you don't even need any musical training.
    You'll probably get better paid, more sex, packed up sooner etc. What am I saying? Don't do that I don't need the competition.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    My portable rig is:
    - Telecaster in a soft case.
    - Quilter 101 Reverb, FX8 + expression pedal (which all travels in an oversized laptop type backpack thing).
    - Matrix NL212

The Matrix is ridiculous light for a 2x12 cab! I can get the lot in in one trip.
  • DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I haul two solid body electrics, both in hardshell cases, one Katana 50 amp and a gig bag for cables, pedals etc... by using bungee cords to secure the works on a two wheel hand cart, the kind commonly used by truck drivers to wheel stuff around.  One trip.  I am also looking into a 4 wheel version that can be folded up for storage or refolded into a two wheel version.

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

simonk said:
    My portable rig is:
    - Quilter 101 Reverb, FX8 + expression pedal (which all travels in an oversized laptop type backpack thing).
    - Matrix NL212

The Matrix is ridiculous light for a 2x12 cab! I can get the lot in in one trip.
    Tbf I can do my Cab, Rack, board and 2 guitars in one trip too. 
    cabs on wheels innit. 

(Assuming no stairs/Doors/little bits of gravel etc)
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    simonk said:
    My portable rig is:
    - Matrix NL212

cabs on wheels innit. 

I always assume there'll be a cattle grid!
    simonk said:
    simonk said:
    My portable rig is:
    - Matrix NL212

cabs on wheels innit. 

I always assume there'll be a cattle grid!
    Those NFU summer balls are a nightmare  ;)
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Wait... you don't  need a 4x12?!?!
    Well.. jurys out on this one :) Might not neeeeed it.. but on the other hand 8x12?
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited June 2017
    If there are no stairs, I can do two guitars, two amps, pedals, leads and a guitar stand in one trip.  Otherwise as many trips as needed to play Total Guitar Wipeout. 
    • Two guitars (one on my back, one carried), each in a gig bag with leads/straps and Fender folding guitar stand in pockets,
    • JCM900 1x12 combo on a folding trolley like this one,
    • spare 18W head, on top of the Marshall,
    • pedal case in a laptop-type bag, on top of spare head,
    • surge protected extension cable (recommended by @Jalapeno) in bag with pedal case.
    All the above also fits in the boot of the wife's Fiat Punto, so you can drive around/park without having anything on display.

As mentioned, always assume there'll be a cattle grid/kerb/broken paving stone, so bungee stuff to the trolley.  Otherwise, sometimes it's quicker to carry in three quick trips to an open car boot.  There's also the option of one amp, one guitar and a pedal in the gigbag, for an easy one-trip load-in.   

In the beginning, you take all your toys but when you make eight trips in-and-out, time-after-time, it's good to refine it.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    • surge protected extension cable (recommended by @Jalapeno) in bag with pedal case.
    Always. Good for protecting you against faulty wiring - if you have to reset more than once it's usually something untoward.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5137
    I could just about do this with my old band.

Electric guitar in hardcase, lap steel in gig bag on my back, amp in one hand and a small, fairly light pedalboard case in the same hand as the guitar case. Cables, spares and general guff stored in the amp and the cases. 

It was much easier with my old Cornell amp than it is with my Laney Lionheart, which is physically larger and noticeably heavier.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26574
    edited June 2017
    simonk said:
    My portable rig is:
    - Matrix NL212

I have the NL212 too - sounds great, and weighs way less than most amps.

My main rig is that, a JCA22H, my preamp pedalboard and the lightweight Jaden Rose Tele. My entire rig weighs less than a Laney VH100R head, and only slightly more than a Blackstar Series One 100 head.

can do it all in one trip, but that sort of negates the point of having everything lightweight - to save my back.
    <space for hire>
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I used to carry two Marshall 1960a cabs at once, I'm not as much of a bruiser as I once was though! 
  • LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2244
    Just waiting for someone with a Helix / Variax set up, straight to someone else's PA - Ultimate lightweight rig :)