Andertons John Mayer PRS Video

What's Hot
VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
edited June 2017 in Guitar
Pete Honore just blew me away there - he's a fantastic guitarist - I am not interested in the PRS although it's pretty impressive and has a lovely sound (in fact many sounds) but Pete...just brilliant. Totally lost in it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    I see World Guitars have sold their Eagle II already.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Peter Honore really is a tremendous guitarist, very tasteful licks and riffs and I love his tone.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4689

Really nice playing but the guitar sounds a bit HiFi / clinical for me.  Some people like that, but I'd prefer it played on something with a bit more give.  Could be the amp, to be fair.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    Yep, sounds like a new guitar...nothing woody nor organic there, sorry.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    Pete is just awesome I imagine it's hard guitar to demo as well as he did sort of thing you have to own and know to get the best from it and yes it does not sound very played in but not sure that's not the built in preamp.

well out of my league financially and doubt I have the subtly of playing technique  an instrument like this needs.

and the colour is a bit marmite 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited June 2017
    It sounds just like a PRS to me. Most PRS guitars has a distinctly recognisable mid range to their sound. This one is no exeption, it doesn't come across as sounding anything particulalrly special but I would need to hold it and play it myself to see if I felt it was worth the asking price.

I don't like the way the 3 pickup are jammed in together and the plethora of mini toggles looks like an early 80s Westone. not my cup of tea to look at at all.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    He really made that guitar sound great. Overall it's a beautiful instrument but not sold on all those switches. Seems over complicated and spoils the front of the guitar. What's wrong with some push pull pots!?!! Middle pickup does not bother me though and maybe has forced ole Johnny Arrogant Pants to think outside the box a little.
  • skinfreakskinfreak Frets: 200
    But I have to add.... £11k!!!! #WTF
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    It's definitely a PRS "thing" - it does have it's own sound but clinical is a good term - neutral is another - I think that's why session guys love them - they are a good base to start with and your other gear can add the flavour
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Considering that the signature artiste is strongly associated with the Fender Stratocaster, it is ironic that this is a sound that his latest signature model can not reproduce. 

Maybe, that was the point?

NOTE: I like and own some PRS guitars but no amount of smart ass wiring circuitry gets them to sound convincingly Stratty.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1783
    I think this was designed purely a a hammer to do the job Mayer has with Dead and company in a lot of ways it mimics the micro switch laden guitars of Jerry Garcia with all that stuff he had with serial parallel in phase out of phase etc.

do not think its to replace his Strat tones on JM gigs.

that will be something they will work on but Mayer wants to be free to play what he wants to play whereas Fender I think had him fairly tightly shackled to what he could be seen on stage playing
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14412
    Dead and Company
    That makes perfect sense.

At these prices, I think that I'll wait for the Terry Morgan custom shop version.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    Vaiai said:
    Pete Honore just blew me away there - he's a fantastic guitarist 
    I'm also not really interested in PRS but the video was impressive.  

Excellent recording as well, it's tricky to capture the sound as they did.  Kudos to Andertons. 
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Lovely playing by Pete.  A few too many switches for me...I can barely cope with a Strat or Tele.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16082
    Bit like an Anderson Switcheroo system ......all just too much
    Pete is a lovely player ......nothing terribly different but lovely timing ,sense of rythmn and feel
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    +1 for Danish Pete. He's just........good
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024