I want a Jaguar.

What's Hot
LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
edited June 2017 in Guitar
This is a pointless post to say that I recorded with a borrowed AVRI Jaguar on Friday, then did a gig with it the next night. 

It had 11s, was refretted and had a mastery and fuck I'm in love now. 

Vintage Jags aren't all that pricey are they? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Not compared to Japanese ones :)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Love them. Have two currently, sadly neither are vintage but one has lollar for Jag pickups, staytrem etc and it records so so well. the other is a Jag Baritone special which is just a beast. Arguably not a real jag but such a fun instrument. 
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    Funny how tastes vary isn't it? 

The Jag I had was my least liked guitar and the only electric I have sold.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6104
    What about one of them Squier vintage modified jobbies?
    They look like a lot of guitar for not much dosh.

http://fencedinarea.com/Images/Gear/Squier_Jaguar_01_120717.jpg
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Loobs said:
    This is a pointless post to say that I recorded with a borrowed AVRI Jaguar on Friday, then did a gig with it the next night. 

They've gone up fast, what with the pound tanking as it is. The money I paid for my slab 62 will barely buy you a seventies now, and I've only had it what, a couple of years? 
  • Really love my Johnny Marr Jag. The mods on it are superb.
    equalsql said:

They aren't bad - I preferred mine to the MIJ I had. They benefit from new pickups and a good setup. In the long term upgrade the hardware and wiring but otherwise, they are decent.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754
    dogload said:
    equalsql said:

They aren't bad - I preferred mine to the MIJ I had. They benefit from new pickups and a good setup. In the long term upgrade the hardware and wiring but otherwise, they are decent.
    To give a reasonable summary, as I am thinking of buying the VM Jazzmaster...

Given all guitars benefit from a good setup, and people talk about changing pickups and electronics on basically any stock guitar if they do that kind of thing...

Basically the Squier VMs are excellent guitars that present exceptional value for money...?
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    I have a love/hate relationship with my Fender AVRI Jaguar. Despite a good set up, it can be hateful to play. On the other hand, nothing else makes those unique sounds.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited June 2017

This is my department!

I currently own:

-  CIJ Thinline Jaguar in Sunburst - absolutely stunningly well made and light guitar. Great bright tone, typical Jaguar twang and cut through tone.

- AVRI 65 Special Run in Sonic Blue - beautiful paintwork, gorgeous sound, a very unique instrument.

The CIJ probably has a higher level of fit and finish, but the AVRI has a more refined tone and is more vintage correct, obviously.

You will be disgusted to know that Fender had a big sale on Jaguars about two years back. I haven't seen anything like those deals since the £ absolutely gave up it's poor life.

We are talking literally half price...I wish I'd bought a few more.

I actually tried a Johnny Marr Jaguar early in the Sherwood Green run, and whilst the mods, the feel and the overall aesthetics were amazing, (and I still want one) the QC was terrible on that guitar, especially considering the price. It was obvious the paint had not cured and they had rushed it out. Plus it just looked a little messy in certain areas.

I still want a Johnny Marr but I am not paying the price they are now.

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12665
    Hmmm, a lot of the Squier VM Jags need more than a set up if you want to bend more than a semi tone past the 15th fret and don't want an action like Mascis uses... some of them have atrocious fretting.

I have an MIJ with a Mastery and AVRI bridge (and pickups... although they are due for replacement as Fender just can't make good Jag pickups at the moment). It's a superb instrument. Ive truly yet to play a better Jaguar - and I've played *a lot*.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

Yes, I shimmed the neck on mine and it is vastly improved.
    As for the pickups, I found the originals a bit harsh. It's got Duncan Vintage 2s in now. I'm not one for just swapping-out pickups, but the difference is worth the bother.

Personally, I found the Squier VM Jazzmasters to be less good than thye Jags - I have tried several. Although I love the Squier J Mascis JM.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3621
    dogload said:
    equalsql said:

So, the woods all right then? ;)
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    impmann said:
    Fender just can't make good Jag pickups at the moment.
    Shh! I traded a pair of Fender AVRI Jaguar pickups to somebody on this board. I don't want him to find out that they're mediocre.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Neil said:
    dogload said:
    equalsql said:

So, the woods all right then? ;)
    It's not bad once you remove the horrendously thick polyester coating and refinish it in nitro... :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    edited June 2017
    Loobs said:

They've gone up fast, what with the pound tanking as it is. The money I paid for my slab 62 will barely buy you a seventies now, and I've only had it what, a couple of years? 
    There's a few early to mid 60s knocking around on ebay kleinanzeigen (germany's gumtree equivalent) between 3000 and 4000 euros. Is that a lot more than what you paid?

Examples:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/treebay-ad.html?id=v1|142403815028|0

Looks like a refin?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/treebay-ad.html?id=v1|152573851054|0

pre-cbs, most mojo...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fender-jaguar-bj-1963-original-vintage-usa-3-color-sunburst/651816775-74-2037

early CBS with bound freboard (probably the coolest here imo)

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/1965-fender-jaguar/641952354-74-5589

• LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    I have a love/hate relationship with my Fender AVRI Jaguar. Despite a good set up, it can be hateful to play. On the other hand, nothing else makes those unique sounds.
    Why hateful? What strings/bridge?
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7162
    Loobs said:
    Loobs said:

There's a few knocking around on ebay kleinanzeigen (germany's gumtree equivalent) between 3000 and 4000 euros. Is that a lot more than what you paid?

Examples:

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/treebay-ad.html?id=v1|142403815028|0

Looks like a refin?

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/treebay-ad.html?id=v1|152573851054|0

pre-cbs, most mojo...

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/fender-jaguar-bj-1963-original-vintage-usa-3-color-sunburst/651816775-74-2037

early CBS with bound freboard (probably the coolest here imo)

https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/1965-fender-jaguar/641952354-74-5589

I paid £2020 for mine, and it's 100% original w/ case, 1962 slab board. Sunburst I grant you, but slabs were only around for the first 3 months of production so relatively rare. That wasn't a HUGE bargain at the time, but very fast became one.