Attenuator cutting out.

What's Hot
shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
Hi all,

i have recently sold a Marshall power break to a gent on eBay and parcel force seem to have done a number on it bending in the pedals 6-7mm on each side. Now the attenuator cuts out in one or two positions. Apparently this is down to the pot? (According to online sources that is).

I want to help the gent, where can I send a power break to be repaired and can anyone help on here? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1598
    @Van_Hayden or @ICBM  have you any knowledge of these things?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Yes. It sounds like the rotary switch may be damaged, in which case it probably needs replacing. Or if you're lucky, possibly a couple of wires have come off. The worst case would be that the auto-transformer is damaged, but I think that's less likely.

I would normally have a go at you for calling it a Power 'Break', but in this case it seems appropriate ;).

If you can find a local repairer that would be better, but I'll have a look at it if you're willing to risk having it damaged further by a courier. (And bear in mind it's expensive to ship.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, this time it was an intentional "break" 

I have asked the buyer what he would like to do, either I will have it repaired for him or if he'd like a return. I certainly don't want him thinking that I am ripping him off. 

If he is ameanable to having it repaired  I will see if he would be happy for you to look at it. If he wants to return it, I will post it up to you. 

Theres a lot to be said for local swaps!

Thanks @ICBM ;
  • Van_HaydenVan_Hayden Frets: 437
    Been years since I looked in one of those to be honest! If you get stuck you know where I am!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Thank you @Van_Hayden ;
  • HHwarnerHHwarner Frets: 137
    Marshall will still repair them

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    I'd happily have a look at it for you if you are stuck, as IC says it may be a damaged attenuator switch or hopefully just a connection. If there is damage to the auto-transformer, it probably won't be economical to repair it. I have a schematic if you want one, just pm me.  
    Thank you very much guys. 

He gent i sold it to seems confident that it needs a new pot as it works well in some positions but not in others. 

We came to an agreement financially and now I believe he is happy as the attenuator matches his RR stack.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    shaunm said:

He gent i sold it to seems confident that it needs a new pot as it works well in some positions but not in others. 

We came to an agreement financially and now I believe he is happy as the attenuator matches his RR stack.
    He would be unwise to run a cranked amp through it until he knows for sure what's wrong with it, even in one of the apparently working positions.

Did he say which positions aren't working? That may give a better idea of exactly what the problem is.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    He didn't say which positions it was. I am hoping he gets back in touch to let me know what is happening. I don't want him thinking I've sold him a pup.