Laney Lionheart L20 Head, more Fendery, Marshally or Voxy ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
Sure looks like a real nice head , more fendery, marshally or voxy ? Hopefully someone who owns or has used one can give an opinion.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16291
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    It's not fender, Marshall or vox.

i toured one for a year, it's the classic laney sound, bold mids that soften slightly under higher volumes, solid lows and bright highs. It's got more in common with the Orange sound rather than any other manufacturer.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132
    edited June 2017
    ^that.

...but if I had to pick one of the three options you gave, I'd say Marshall.

I'm not sure I agree that it sounds like an Orange- there's something stiff in the the treble range on the Orange amps I've played that I really don't like, but that the Lionheart doesn't have.

Preamp sections for each channel on the Lionheart are supposedly based on a JTM45(?) and a JCM800, which is not to say that they sound identical.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    Funny because I found it move Vox than Marshall. But it is 100% not a Vox, it has its own sound. 

Truth is it's a great amp, takes pedals like a champ and sounds ace without them. A good gigging amp
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    shaunm said:
    Funny because I found it move Vox than Marshall. But it is 100% not a Vox, it has its own sound. 

Truth is it's a great amp, takes pedals like a champ and sounds ace without them. A good gigging amp
    For use indoors is the master vol like a hrd off/insane control or nice and progressive ?
    I keep reading that its dark, i play an ash tele, should i be concerned ?
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I recorded the whole of "Take Courage" on a L20h through a Zilla 212 and Marshall JCM900 412. Boosted with a Love Pedal Amp 11. 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    shaunm said:

For use indoors is the master vol like a hrd off/insane control or nice and progressive ?
    I dont think its dark sounding but im keeping the tone up at between  8 and 9 on my tele. I dont even use the bright switch and it sounds good. It feels like the tone should be set high and backing it off is really just a kind of tone cut. But thats just my preference.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    A friend and former band mate has had A LH20 since they came out he swears it sounds like a cross between a Hiwatt and a AC30.  I thought it sounded throaty and chimey with a Strat, Plexi with a Les Paul. Great loud 20 watt amp and a decent platform for pedals too. I haven't really helped have I?
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    They're quite laney.
     ;) 
    It's not a dark amp in my opinion. I found it really clear and clean. It's a great amp. I think just buy it
  • zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    Love mine, it doesn't do high gain well but it'll take a pedal like a champ to do that if that's your thing. Cleans are great and a good light to medium crunch is obtainable that'll impress you. Mine doesn't get as much use as it used to since I got the JTM but I don't think I'll ever sell it as it really is a great amp, even if it was made in China. Zero reliability issues, gigable, go get one!
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    What about the master volume ?

Nicely progressive or touch it and windows get blown in like using a hrd ?
    Nothing like the HRD, it's useable all the way round
    edited June 2017
    What about the master volume ?

Nicely progressive or touch it and windows get blown in like using a hrd ?
    Nicely progressive. I can get it down nice and low for home use without any of that hair's-breadth-between-silent-and-deafening bullshit.

Nah. It'll go very bright with the master tone control right up. Not Fender bright, but bright enough, certainly with a Tele.

Knew i forgot something  is the L20h cathode biased or not ?
    Knew i forgot something  is the L20h cathode biased or not ?
    In all honesty I've never known if any of my amps were or not. I just want it to sound good
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Do the earlier, British made 1x12 L20 combos come with Spring Reverb? I know the L5s do...
    Do the earlier, British made 1x12 L20 combos come with Spring Reverb? I know the L5s do...
    Yeah, Chinese ones with digital. Mine is Chinese and the reverb is arse although apparently the spring wasn't much better. 
    Do the earlier, British made 1x12 L20 combos come with Spring Reverb? I know the L5s do...
    Yeah, Chinese ones with digital. Mine is Chinese and the reverb is arse although apparently the spring wasn't much better. 
    I've got one with spring reverb. And no, it really wasn't.

FWIW, the UK made ones also have a terrible effects loop. It's easy(ish) to modify (the hard part is getting to the one component you need to remove) but stock it's an absolute joke.

I've got one with spring reverb. And no, it really wasn't.

FWIW, the UK made ones also have a terrible effects loop. It's easy(ish) to modify (the hard part is getting to the one component you need to remove) but stock it's an absolute joke.
    I'm sure I read this was fixed on the Chinese version although I've never used the loop so I've no idea.

In answer to the original question I don't really know. I'm reasonably familiar with modern Marshalls and to my ear it isn't particularly like those. There's a reasonable amount of flexibility with the eq anyway.
     I bought a Bright Onion channel switcher for mine so it had the LED but at gigging volume the difference between the channels gets less obvious so now I just use it on the OD and turn down for clean (er). 

We did a gig end of last year with a band whose bassist used to dep in my band. I'd describe them as a lot more professional than us and he is a brick shit house of a man of few words but has played in loads of bands, done some touring. However, after our set he came over to me and told me how good he thought my new amp sounded so I took that as meaningful praise.