Laney Lionheart L20 Head, more Fendery, Marshally or Voxy ?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132

FWIW, the UK made ones also have a terrible effects loop. 
    I'm sure I read this was fixed on the Chinese version although I've never used the loop so I've no idea.

It's certainly different- the current model is level-switchable/bypassable.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    My purchase finger is literally hoverring over the button, are there any negatives re the l20h i should be aware of ?
    My purchase finger is literally hoverring over the button, are there any negatives re the l20h i should be aware of ?
    Nothing that hasn't been mentioned - crap reverb, crap effects loop on the UK made ones (Chinese ones might be OK). FWIW the expensive speakers in the combos (Celestion G12H Heritage) might have something to do with how good they sound.

As long as it's the sort of sound you want, you won't be disappointed. 

• zepp76zepp76 Frets: 2534
    No
    Tomorrow will be a good day.
    Image result for do it gif

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    shaunm said:
    Knew i forgot something  is the L20h cathode biased or not ?
    In all honesty I've never known if any of my amps were or not. I just want it to sound good
    Yes they are.

It is useful to know, irrespective of the sound - it means you don't need to worry about biasing when you change the valves.

I'm not certain if the 50-watt one is though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    ICBM said:
    shaunm said:
    Knew i forgot something  is the L20h cathode biased or not ?
    In all honesty I've never known if any of my amps were or not. I just want it to sound good
    Yes they are.

It is useful to know, irrespective of the sound - it means you don't need to worry about biasing when you change the valves.

I'm not certain if the 50-watt one is though.
    Have you ever had a look under the hood and viewed the quality of parts used and integrity of the build ?, I know having non pcb valve bases is a good start.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72232
    Telejester said:

Have you ever had a look under the hood and viewed the quality of parts used and integrity of the build ?, I know having non pcb valve bases is a good start.
    Except when they fail to solder up one of the connections on a valve socket (one also linked to the next valve) so intermittently only two of the valves actually work… which is what was wrong with the only faulty one I've come across.

Admittedly this can sometimes happen if you get a bad joint on a PCB as well, but don't assume that it's automatically better to mount the sockets on the chassis or to wire them up by hand.

The build quality is typical for Laney - good enough, but no better than that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• maraudermarauder Frets: 133
    Reverb footswitch failed on mine, but it wasn't actually the switch.
    The wire from jack socket connected to the pcb on a tag came loose.  Reverb came on when amp was warm.  I soldered it.