Live rig

What's Hot
antifashantifash Frets: 603
Hello, and thanks in advance for any advice here.

There's a possibility of me playing bass live in a band for the very first time. I have a basic Epiphone EB3 and use a Laney BA108 at home. I don't mind the guitar, it'll do for now, but should it come to it - I'm wondering what to use at practise / gig. 

I have all Laney amps in the house, have never tried Markbass or any other bass brands. I understand that a head / cab option is best, though I'd really rather not store loads of gear if possible. 

Just wondered if anyone had any tips on what to look for.

Cheers.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12881
    Depends a lot on the band and the venues/practice rooms you'll be playing at. 

I've been a gigging bassist for pushing ten years and I don't currently own an amp other than a practice amp. In my experience practice rooms have perfectly adequate bass amps for what I do (fairly straightforward rock) and at gigs 70% of the time backline is either shared or provided and the remaining 30% of the time I DI straight into the PA.Worth noting I always confirm in advance of the gig what the situation is and am not overly fussy about tones: I'll always be happy to DI if needed. So, for me, owning a 300W head and bass cab would be a waste of space and money: it would just gather dust for 364 nights of the year.

Of course, if you're in a covers band instead of the originals scene then the odds of needing to provide all the gear yourself increase dramatically. I'm sure someone will be along with some recommendations soon enough.   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • antifashantifash Frets: 603
    @unclepsychosis That is very helpful and assuring. Many many thanks for that. 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4028
    @antifash ; -- I've just PM'd.
    Basically my son is selling his bass head and cab:
    Ampeg B500 DR -- in a rack/ case.  Think it's either 2U or 3U.
    The cab is an Ampeg B410 HLF.
    He's moving to the States to marry an American girl so the ready-to-gig rig has to go.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @grunfeld Replied, bud. Thanks. 
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    I've used Ashdown gear for years and toured with Trace Elliot moons ago. If you love that sound then I think nothing beats it. Head & cab are definitely more flexible and easier on your back  
    @garfy Thanks, I'll look into them. I wasn't a massive fan of the TE sound one of my old bassists had, but wouldn't judge on one old combo. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    I would avoid Breakdown and Trace Failalot simply from a reliability point of view, irrespective of the sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • garfygarfy Frets: 143
    Funny, I've never had any reliability issues at all. Never missed a beat, either brand, including being driven across Europe in a trailer and thrown about by myself. 
    Anyway, good luck with your search. May want to join basschat, wealth of opinions etc on there as well. 

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2744
    What sort of gigs are you planning - originals, pub covers, functions?

I use a GK mb 2x12 combo that weighs next to nothing and kicks out a ton of sound - pretty flexible but maybe doesn't have a lot of character.    When I'm playing bass it's usual function bands and occasionally pub gigs so I just wanted something loud, reliable and light that would give a good tone.  

If you're doing big gigs and If transport and weight aren't a problem then I'd probably go for a head and cabs - 4x10 or 2x10 and a 15 then you can do one or both - plenty of modern light weight heads or cheaper but bigger heavier old ones.  
    Small gigs and lightweight I'd get a combo like a GK or the tc electronic amps.   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have a Mark Bass CMD102P.
    It is seriously loud and can cope with any gig I can throw at it.
    It weighs hardly anything and is easy to lug.
    I'd never go back to a massive cab unless I had a roadie.

Only pedals I use are a compressor and an octaver.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom