Modded GE7 has turned hissy again - help please?

What's Hot
bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
edited June 2017 in FX
I changed the chips and three capacitors in a GE7 and there was a huge improvement in the level of noise.  I only tried it as I was sceptical about some of the online demos, but it really did work.  I am a novice solderer but seemed to manage OK.

However, the pedal seems to have developed some noise.  A small boost on 1.6k and 3.2k has become noisier.
Does anyone know if this is due to some wonky soldering or maybe one of the replacement components has blown.
Maybe it is a case of trial and error on each of the new components.

Any advice welcome
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• bacchanalianbacchanalian Frets: 897
    Bump for any advice welcome
    I am getting hissed off with this mod gone wrong
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72238
    Did you keep the old components? If so, try re-substituting them one at a time. Whatever is causing it will only be one part.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Thank you @ICBM ;

Unfortunately, I did not keep the old components. 
    However, it would be cheap to buy the same components and try replacing them. It should be very simple for the chips as the kit I first used replace the original chips with sockets. Unless it is some wonky soldering around the socket pins.

Thanks for the tip 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72238
    That's good, it makes things very easy. Chances are it's just the chip that operates the 1.6 and 3.2k filters - IC1 according to the schematic - change that first.

An interesting feature of the circuit is that with the original chips *all* the frequencies hiss when you move the slider up or down away from flat... so as a quick test you could try swapping IC1 for IC2 or 3 and see if the problem moves.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Brilliant thanks, I will try that later today.