Craig Greenwood of Greenwood Guitars AVOID

What's Hot
As per title, avoid buying from the guitar dealer Craig Greenwood.  He recently fraudulently sold me a 1969 Gibson SG Standard described as a 1968.  When I last checked it was still on his website described incorrectly as a 1968.

When I contacted Craig to request a return and refund he was extremely evasive and unhelpful and continued to insist it was a '68 despite all the evidence I presented to him (lack of dot on headstock, pots dated '70 amongst other things).  He then fobbed me off saying he would need to look into it but was on holiday for the next 3 weeks. I haven't heard back from him.

The guitar has since been traded legitimated as a 1969 SG Standard at significant financial loss to myself.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    mart said:
    Aye that'd be the fella.  He has his supporters as well as they just made quite clear on Facebook.  The apparently think there is no difference between a '68 and a '69 SG and that the obligation was on me to find this out before buying.  Okay then...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question- I'm just trying to learn since one day I'll get an old SG

how can you have 70 pots on a 69 guitar?

thanks in advance 
    peteri said:
    Sorry if this comes across as a stupid question- I'm just trying to learn since one day I'll get an old SG

how can you have 70 pots on a 69 guitar?

thanks in advance 
    Well I wondered that myself.  Suggests it wasn't all original as it was described to me doesn't it?  I have read online that it could be because the guitar was made in late '69 and completed in '70 but I agree with you it's strange. Certainly suggests the guitar wasn't a '68 as Craig described it doesn't it?
    Also if you're thinking of buying one peteri, my advice to you would be to do your research and be very wary.  If you're only after a player's grade and are not bothered about everything being original then you should be okay but if you're after a collector's grade and are paying top whack then be very careful.  The old adage buyer beware is apt as I found out to my cost.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Thanks for the reply - yes completely agree with all you've said, I've bought three oldies so far - love all but it's made me more nervous, kind of feel I'm due a dud!
    Don't get me wrong, the guitar wasn't a dud. It just wasn't what it purported to be. It's certainly made me wary of buying vintage again.