Any advice on cost effective(cheap)aby splitter to run 2 amps reliably.

What's Hot
GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
edited June 2017 in Amps
I'm looking into running my 2 Orange amps(together)for gigs,any advice on the cheapest ABY box to do this without hum,phase issues etc.
Needs to be as cheap as possible,because i only play Pubs(low money) & i'm old,so i need to get my money back via gigs,before i die,if possible.
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    Hoof said:
    This is probably as cheap as it gets.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/lead_foot_aby.htm
    But doesn't have ground lift, isolation or a phase switch so jolly unlikely to meet the brief.

The Bright Onion one is worth a look.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

If you have a 'NOT 'EFFING TRUE BYPASS!' pedal and can solder you can make a simple passive splitter (post pedal) . If you run into hum problems you can diss' the screen connection on ONE amp feed.

Note, power each amp from the same outlet, even if the setup means you have to run an extension back to a common outlet. Do NOT use another mains socket because it is 'handy'.

And, if you do have hum loop problems DO NOT despite ANYTHING ANYONE TELLS YOU disconnect ANY mains earths!

Dave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • GrahamGGrahamG Frets: 87
    Thanks,guys.The Thomann pedal IS cheap,but it dosen't have a phase or ground lift switch.
    i have no clue how to go about modifying a suitable pedal,plus i don't have any pedals anyway =)
    I have checked out Bright Onion,(thanks for the info) & they have a pedal which when i think about it is more suitable for my needs,which a signal splitter with phase switch & ground/isolation switch is £10 cheaper than there ABY box & since i will run both amps all the time(no switching),this is top of the list,unless someone pops up with an equal features cheaper solution.
    Regards,Graham.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28138
    GrahamG said:

I have checked out Bright Onion,(thanks for the info) & they have a pedal which when i think about it is more suitable for my needs,which a signal splitter with phase switch & ground/isolation switch is £10 cheaper than there ABY box & since i will run both amps all the time(no switching),this is top of the list,unless someone pops up with an equal features cheaper solution.
    Regards,Graham.
    I'd say (having made a few pedals in the distant past) that their stuff is well made and probably a bit underpriced...
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11891
    edited June 2017
    twinstomp ABY, not cheap though
    I might sell mine though - just down the road from warrington
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    Have you actually tried it and found that there is a ground loop problem? Depending on the amps, it's not always so.

What model(s) of Orange are they - are they the same? If so you can discount a phase issue.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    There are probably cheaper options but I have one of these and it is excellent:

http://www.thegigrig.com/humdinger-c2x17796080
    edited June 2017
    ICBM said:
    Have you actually tried it and found that there is a ground loop problem? Depending on the amps, it's not always so.

What model(s) of Orange are they - are they the same? If so you can discount a phase issue.
    Hi,ICBM.I'm using 2 Orange amps an R30C & a JRT,i have a Boss Tuner with 2 outputs "normal" & "parallel",which i've used to split the signal,but i get a loud Hum & Buzz,from the Amps,if i lift the ground from the Jack at the receive end of one of the Leads,it gets rid of the hum,but i still get a loud buzz from 1 amp.
    Thanks,Graham.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24265
    I have the Bright Onion one with the transformer isolated out with a phase switch.

http://www.brightonion.co.uk/active-aby-pedal-with-isolated-second-output/

It was great. Did what it said on the tin.

• andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    Sporky said:
    Hoof said:
    This is probably as cheap as it gets.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/lead_foot_aby.htm
    But doesn't have ground lift, isolation or a phase switch so jolly unlikely to meet the brief.

The Bright Onion one is worth a look.
    +1

I've got one of the Bright Onion ABY active pedals,  been using it for years with many different amp combinations, never had any issues with it. 
    Thanks everybody,i've pretty much decided on the Bright Onions splitter(no switching).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    GrahamG said:

Hi,ICBM.I'm using 2 Orange amps an R30C & a JRT,i have a Boss Tuner with 2 outputs "normal" & "parallel",which i've used to split the signal,but i get a loud Hum & Buzz,from the Amps,if i lift the ground from the Jack at the receive end of one of the Leads,it gets rid of the hum,but i still get a loud buzz from 1 amp.
    OK! It was worth asking though :). It's easy to make things more complicated than you need to... unless you need to ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein