Bogner red / blue pedals - any users?

newi123newi123 Frets: 850
edited June 2017 in FX
Hi,

Quite fancy one of these for the rock band - into a fairly clean amp.

Any experience here? 

Does the blue have enough gain to do 80s & 90s rock? Or does the red allow cleaner settings that the full on demos?

Cheers
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I think @digitalscream had one?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    Had one? I've had several ;)

The Red is the main part of my pedalboard at the moment, running into an AMT F-1 preamp (so it's effectively simulating a Fender Twin). What kind of "rock" are you talking about - 80s poodle-rock, or 80s Springsteen-esque rock?

Without the boost engaged, the Red cleans up pretty well with the guitar's volume even with the gain maxed out. There are a lot of settings on the toggle switches which reduce the gain levels too. I'd say the Red is by far the most versatile of the Ecstasy pedals.
    <space for hire>
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 850
    @digitalscream thanks for the info.

More poodle than Springsteen! Sounds like red it is then!
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844

I had a blue

Sold it after one rehearsal - stupid, stupid pedal

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128

I had a blue

I'm guessing that's stupid bad. What didn't you like about it?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

newi123 said:

Yep, I'd say so. I even ran that pedalboard into a solid state power amp, and nobody in the band could tell that it was appreciably different to my valve amp.

The pedal itself sounds great, and the combination of the Red and the AMT preamp reacts exactly as you'd expect from a valve rig. I'm in a position now where I'd happily gig without any glass bottles at all...I just can't be bothered buying a rack case for the power amp ;)
    <space for hire>
    Good news! Ordered a red this afternoon. Will be using that an h9 into my jca20hv. Should make a great rig! Thanks for the help.

newi123 said:

Yep, I'd say so. I even ran that pedalboard into a solid state power amp, and nobody in the band could tell that it was appreciably different to my valve amp.

The pedal itself sounds great, and the combination of the Red and the AMT preamp reacts exactly as you'd expect from a valve rig. I'm in a position now where I'd happily gig without any glass bottles at all...I just can't be bothered buying a rack case for the power amp ;)
    Is that the Velocity??
    newi123 said:

Is that the Velocity??
    Yup. Sounded great - got a bit trebly in the solo boost, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, and I've had that effect with valve amps too.
    <space for hire>
    Hmmm interesting, I thought it was a really good sounding power amp, have you fiddled with the definition control? 
    Yeah, I think it's more to do with a really hot signal hitting the power amp. Didn't spend a whole lot of time tweaking, to be honest.
    <space for hire>
    Hang on...just for clarity, I'm already saying that it *is* a really good sounding power amp, @professorben :)
    <space for hire>
    Hang on...just for clarity, I'm already saying that it *is* a really good sounding power amp, @professorben :)
    Ah yes I knew that. Just my tiredness addled brain made a hash of the message. 
    20 hour shift....

• TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1844

I had a blue

I'm guessing that's stupid bad. What didn't you like about it?

just found it really hard to dial in a sound that was either no gain or way too much - there seemed to be no in between

The interface was really complicated too

newi123 said:

So it arrived this morning - sounds great, but fair bit of hiss / white noise when engaged. Does yours do that too?
    newi123 said:
    newi123 said:

So it arrived this morning - sounds great, but fair bit of hiss / white noise when engaged. Does yours do that too?
    Nope - there's less noise and hum than there would be from my amp (Jet City JCA22H) at similar gain levels, and that's without taking into account the fact that I've switched from humbuckers to Lace Sensors.
    <space for hire>
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I've had the Red and the Blue. 

The Red is very good for higher gain rock. Considering all the controls it's not very versatile just extremely tweakable within it's boundaries. 

The Blue is nothing special and doesn't have all that much gain. The other thing to note is the boost is so loud as to be almost unusable into an amp with headroom even on minimum.
    newi123 said:
    newi123 said:

Nope - there's less noise and hum than there would be from my amp (Jet City JCA22H) at similar gain levels, and that's without taking into account the fact that I've switched from humbuckers to Lace Sensors.
    Interesting - I`ll try mine in different places and see if I get on any better. Thanks
    @newi123 - have you tried it with a separate power supply or batteries? I've never had to, but it's the kind of thing I'd imagine a noisy or insufficient (the Red needs 100mA) power supply might cause.
    <space for hire>
    It was on the battery it came with - I`ll try a power supply tonight, and also in the rehearsal studio (I was quite close to the pedal  / amp when I was playing). I did read some had white noise with the boost engaged, but this was very noticeable with the pedal engaged even on low gain settings.