Silver Jubilee Mini (2525h)

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2384
Hi all,

So I've got a Helix and I'm going FrFr, and I also own a modded JVM410HJS..... but I am really GASing for a mini Silver Jub! Has anyone got one? All the demos sound great, but I've learned a long time ago to not put too much stock in them.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    I tried one and found it very bright and piercing indeed, go try one and let your ears decide for you.
  • TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    edited July 2017
    calling @photek . I have one & honestly think they are brilliant. Photek has one and absolutely swears by it. He has been through pretty much everything else so that in itself is a pretty good barometer. 
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6122
    tFB Trader
    I have one, and really love mine. It has that perfect high gain marshall sound
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Brilliant amp. I have the combo and its very hard to beat 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2894
    Don't have one but I've spent a fair bit of time playing one. You have to keep the treble and presence fairly low if playing alone but it's an awesome tone when you get it dialed in right. As above, perfect "modded marshall" tone.
    TTBZ said:
    Don't have one but I've spent a fair bit of time playing one. You have to keep the treble and presence fairly low if playing alone but it's an awesome tone when you get it dialed in right. As above, perfect "modded marshall" tone.
    I didn't get the brightness thing! my settings are TMB all on 6 and Pres on 5, Gain on 2, Drive Vol on 5 and then just rinse the master to suit. I only really use it as a single channel amp, so none of the knobs are pulled. I do play in D standard most of the time though with big strings, so i never really find a sound thats too bright.

I swapped the speaker out for the Neo Creamback which does make a huge difference, the amp is now bolder in the mids and the treble isn't as fizzy in the top end (i do actually like a bit of fizz!), it also feels louder and clearer at volume.
    edited June 2017
    Ive only played it with an SG and a Pacifica so that might explain the brightness. I don't like the rhythm clip, my favourite is lead channel with the rhythm clip off, gain at 5-6 ish. Like you I see it more as a single channel amp with a few different sounds in it which suits me fine. 

Sounds huge through a 4x12 as well, I've tried it with a 1960 and Silver Jubilee cab, both sound awesome with the 1960 surprisingly taking 1st place. Maybe I don't mind T75s after all!
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Easily one of the best amps I have owned, brilliant vintage Marshall sounds as well as a lovely lead tone. Gig mine most weekends through a 2061CX with V30's. It is quite bright using PAF's but easy enough to dial that out.

Its so good I have sold all my drive pedals (have had about 200 of those by the way!) and just use it with a KOKO boost.
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2384
    Dammit..... But if I get one it kind of negates the Helix....!
    FarleyUK said:
    Dammit..... But if I get one it kind of negates the Helix....!
    I got one to use as a home/rehearsal grab and go amp, I was going to get a helix for recording as well, but the little Marshall records so well I ditched the helix idea
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24798
    edited June 2017
    'Marshall Makes Decent Amp Shocker' - based on the YouTube vids I've seen on these - I quite fancy one. And I say that as someone who generally doesn't get on with Marshalls at all....
  • I'm keen on getting one of these. 

Is there a lot of low end punch ?

I only got rid of my Slash SL-5 as it had no bottom end at all and I need a bit of thump 
  • CollingsCollings Frets: 411
    I had one and like others have said it tends to to be a little on the bright side but not too difficult to dial that out. It's quite a loud amp for its 20 watts and the volume seems to work over the full span of the pot do easily controlled.

I think its crunch tones are the best tones in it but I guess that's no surprise.
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited June 2017
    I'm keen on getting one of these. 

I only got rid of my Slash SL-5 as it had no bottom end at all and I need a bit of thump 
    Really depends on the cab and speakers, I don't like thump and with 2061 cab and V30's i have the bass below noon. Using an old EV loaded 1x12 cab it has a hell of a lot of low end if you need it but it isn't really that tight modern sound if thats what you are after.

I think the Session youtube vid is the closest to how mine sounds in the room.
  • photek said:
    I'm keen on getting one of these. 

Really depends on the cab and speakers, I don't like thump and with 2061 cab and V30's i have the bass below noon. Using an old EV loaded 1x12 cab it has a hell of a lot of low end if you need it but it isn't really that tight modern sound if thats what you are after.

I think the Session youtube vid is the closest to how mine sounds in the room.
    Thanks for the info :)

I have my engl for modern tones with huge low end and my Carvin legacy for smooth leads. I use a 2x12 with V30's

Looking at Marshall again for crunch rhythm tones and blues type lead tones. Plus I'm also after Slash type sounds

My SL5 was great but had zero bottom end 

I'm liking that the 2525 has two EL34's rather than the EL84's they seem to put in 20watt amps 
  • The session demo is the best demo I've seen so if if sounds like that then it's what I'm after 
    Yeah I'd say its pretty close to the session clip. That bogner cab hes using sounds great!
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2384
    Just listened to that Session clip - f*ck me, that's beautiful!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4thcapo4th Frets: 4437
    Would like to know that Bognor cab configuration and apply it to an angled Marshall

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72249
    Am I the only one who finds it hilariously ironic that after all the hatred for the solid-state diode clipping in the JCM900 and JCM800 Split-Channel amps, one of Marshall's most highly-rated amps uses diode clipping? Both in the Lead and Rhythm Clip modes - Lead is an asymetrical diode/LED network, Rhythm Clip is straight silicon diodes.

Just goes to show you should trust your ears and not worry about it too much :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom