Silver Jubilee Mini (2525h)

What's Hot

Comments

• These must be popular and people sticking with them as I can hardly find any secondhand and in completed eBay sales 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bazxkrbazxkr Frets: 611
    These must be popular and people sticking with them as I can hardly find any secondhand and in completed eBay sales 

Agreed...I've kept an eye open for a while too and they just don't seem to come up...more 1987 originals at crazy prices than the new re issues..... every demo/YT seems to be positive. Anybody have an idea how close to a DSL40C the 2525C jubilee mini would be too each other tone wise ?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72210
    bazxkr said:

Anybody have an idea how close to a DSL40C the 2525C jubilee mini would be too each other tone wise ?
    Not very. The DSL's all-valve clipping just doesn't sound right.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    @ICBM I find that funny as well, especially when a lot of people then go and stick a diode based pedal in front of their JCM800 anyway. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    That Session demo is nice, great to see Marshall making an amp that hits the spot. Sounds a bit like a Friedman  ;)
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5140
    Yep..that Session guy sounds great...For the guys that use them at home...What are they like at home volume?
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Sounds good at home volumes but as with my old 2555sl it becomes amazing once the volume is at 3/4 at that point the 2555 was too loud for gigging, the 2525 is perfect at that volume :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was looking at either this or the Friedman runt or pink taco

Has anyone compared them or can offer any input? 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I was looking at either this or the Friedman runt or pink taco

Pink Taco has more gain and its a bit smoother, I preferred the 2525 in all honesty. Budget wasn't an issue for me, but the Marshall is a lot better than most amps twice its price. I tried the Runt, but found it to be like a watered down Friedman, its still a very good amp, but just not the kind of amp that had the minerals to blow me away, although i do like the idea of the XLR out, that would save a lot of time when recording.

tone1 said:
    Yep..that Session guy sounds great...For the guys that use them at home...What are they like at home volume?
    The 5 watt mode is still pretty loud but with careful balancing of the two volumes you can get some superb tones at very low volumes. I found the speaker upgrade helped with that too.
  • timmysoft said:
    I was looking at either this or the Friedman runt or pink taco

Pink Taco has more gain and its a bit smoother, I preferred the 2525 in all honesty. Budget wasn't an issue for me, but the Marshall is a lot better than most amps twice its price. I tried the Runt, but found it to be like a watered down Friedman, its still a very good amp, but just not the kind of amp that had the minerals to blow me away, although i do like the idea of the XLR out, that would save a lot of time when recording.

tone1 said:
    The 5 watt mode is still pretty loud but with careful balancing of the two volumes you can get some superb tones at very low volumes. I found the speaker upgrade helped with that too.

Many thanks that's good to hear :)
  • I need to revisit these. I must not have given the one I tried enough time. 
    I still find it baffling that now they have the 20W 2-EL34 output section and the transformers from this amp, that they haven't made 20W versions of the 2203 and possibly the 1987… maybe even a JCM900. They have all the various parts, so the R&D cost would be minimal and I'm absolutely certain they would sell well - there's a market for these circuits in a smaller, more modern-gig-friendly package - other companies have already taken a good chunk of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    ICBM said:
    I still find it baffling that now they have the 20W 2-EL34 output section and the transformers from this amp, that they haven't made 20W versions of the 2203 and possibly the 1987… maybe even a JCM900. They have all the various parts, so the R&D cost would be minimal and I'm absolutely certain they would sell well - there's a market for these circuits in a smaller, more modern-gig-friendly package - other companies have already taken a good chunk of it.
    Rumours abound that there are more "mini" versions of some of their amps in the pipeline.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    ICBM said:
    From what I've heard, it's happening! 
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    timmysoft said:
    ICBM said:
    A little bit of wee will come out if the do go ahead with the mini 2203 :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2382
    photek said:
    timmysoft said:
    ICBM said:
    A little bit of wee will come out if the do go ahead with the mini 2203 :)
    I think they'd be crazy not to!
  • Right. I think I'm going to cool my interest. Get a jet city in the short term and play with that until they potentially get their act together with a wider mini range
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2042
    As ever, I'm so drawn to these. But I have to keep reminding myself of 2 things:

1 - I had one of the originals (in combo form), which I really didn't get on with, probaly because I'm a front room noodler not a gigger and they really come into their own at gig volumes. The only time it sounded good was when @fastboy played it, though that's much more to do with his talent and my lack thereof

2 - I recently splurged a similar amount of money on a Fender Blues Deluxe (I know - not really a noodler amp), whose clean tone I adore, but which can also get me into Pistols/Green Day/Fugazi territory with the right guitar and pedals

I still fucking want one of the 2525Hs, though. Goddammit. 

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

If they make a mini 2203 in the 1976 first-version styling, then I may be forced to buy a new Marshall amp for the first time in 32 years… one of the originals remains the best-sounding Marshall I've ever played, but they're just unnecessarily big for me these days.

Matching checkerboard 1x12"s would be the icing on the cake.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom