Vintage Sound Amps - any opinions?

What's Hot
LamonpLamonp Frets: 5
Hi,

I have been looking at a few boutique amps along the lines of the Louis Electric Road Runner (Princeton style) and I was wondering if anyone has owned or tried the Vintage Sound Amps Vintage 15 of Vintage 20? Has anyone had the chance to play them alongside the likes of Louis Electric or similar?

Any words of wisdom would be welcome thanks.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ChrisCox1994ChrisCox1994 Frets: 367
    Anything in that sort of price range is going to be good.

Your best bet would be to go to one of the shops that stock a range of fancy stuff and compare.
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Honestly, if I was going to drop that sort of money on an amp, the last thing I'd do is solicit the opinions of random people on a forum. None of us know what sort of stuff you play or where you'll be playing it. Some people's idea of a clean sound can be my idea of high-gain hell.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Sassafras said:
    Honestly, if I was going to drop that sort of money on an amp, the last thing I'd do is solicit the opinions of random people on a forum. None of us know what sort of stuff you play or where you'll be playing it. Some people's idea of a clean sound can be my idea of high-gain hell.
    It looks like the OP is in Ireland so opportunities to try some of these amps might be limited - asking for people's opinions of them on a guitar forum is fair enough I reckon.

I have a Louis Electric Columbia, as have a few others on here, which is sublime and also in the Princeton vein. I think @octatonic  has a Road Runner so he might like to comment.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LamonpLamonp Frets: 5
    Thanks simonk. Yes - the opportunities to try the boutique builders' amps is very limited over here. I'm lucky enough to have a Swart AST which is great but volume can be an issue for home playing which is what attracted me to the Road Runner or the Vintage 15 (the latter works out about €400 cheaper). Thanks for the replies - really appreciate the input.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    edited June 2017
    Yup, I have a Road Runner.
    It is an amazing amp and suited to being a home amp + small gigs.
    If I was doing more/bigger gigs as a guitarist then perhaps I'd have gone for the Columbia.

I don't know Vintage Sound Amps at all, sorry.

I will say that it is best to A/B amps if you can.
    When I bought the Roadrunner I actually went into to buy a Carr Rambler- the Roadrunner was the amp I A/B'ed against just to compare and I loved it so much I bought it.
  • LamonpLamonp Frets: 5
    Thanks octatonic - you may have convinced me!!!