Racks

What's Hot
KylefKylef Frets: 1042
How many players here are still using rackmount gear?

I had a few before and enjoyed it, but never invested in a foot controller to get the most out of them. My lack of midi knowledge played a part too. I had all the Line 6 Modules, a Pod, Korg Tuner etc. I now have an Echo Pro on the way again so it has me tempted to have another build.

Is this wise or are racks a thing of the past?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Racks!!!  I love 'em.  MOLP can't fk with 'em like they can pedals and all those lights look seeeeexy.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    Yep Rack fan here too. 

Only for amp tho. Pedals for fx with a loop switcher. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2352
    I've been on and off with racks for years. Probably going to sell my MTS modules and chassis due to the Helix, but there's no denying that they sound amazing. I'll still hold onto my rackmount soundcard and Studio Quad, not to mention a few other bits
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 640
    I have two racks, one fixed in my home office with pedal drawer, switcher, TC G-Major 1&2, self-built pre and power amps, Roland GR55 etc.
    The other is portable with a switcher, a few pedals in a drawer and a TC G-Major for loop FX. Both are controlled by MIDI footpedals which keeps ecerything neat and tidy and off the floor.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Yeah by default as I use an Axe FX 2. I wouldn't bother building a huge old school 8u+ rig when an Axe FX/Kemper/Helix rig fulfils most if not all requirements for a lot of people. The only other thing I use is a Matrix power amp though I would one day like to try a valve poweramp 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yeah by default as I use an Axe FX 2. I wouldn't bother building a huge old school 8u+ rig when an Axe FX/Kemper/Helix rig fulfils most if not all requirements for a lot of people. The only other thing I use is a Matrix power amp though I would one day like to try a valve poweramp 
    Where are you based? 
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
    @hubobulous if you do clear out your MTS stuff please do let me know :) thanks
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Another AXE FX 2 XL user here (exclusively, as in no pedals or anything else). Always wanted everything in a rack, now I have everything in a rack. 

I'd be cautious of losing power amp emulation and something like a Fender model sounding crap with a Marshall EL34 stereo power amp...or am I being stupid?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    Where are you based? 
    NW - north of Manchester
    Jonathanthomas83 said:
    I'd be cautious of losing power amp emulation and something like a Fender model sounding crap with a Marshall EL34 stereo power amp...or am I being stupid?
    You're probably right I just want to try it.  I'm happy with the sounds I get anyway, it's just one of those things!  Most of the time I'm just using it through studio monitors and it's sounding great, so much easier to get sounds I like at any volume for playing or recording at home.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    Yeah, still using my rack gear. I generally prefer the sound of older digital delays and reverbs, so a that's what I tend to use. I have a bunch old old   Alesis, Boss, Roland, Lexicon and Deltalab modules, plus my beloved Ursa Major Stargate 323 reverb.
     I'd like to add a Yamaha SPX-90, Roland RE-3 and Korg SDD2000 to that list.
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    edited June 2017
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Totally. Midiverb II on its way to me right now, hopefully delivered whilst I'm at work this weekend. 

• KylefKylef Frets: 1042
    And so it begins.....

https://imgur.com/gallery/dSQUj
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom