New Boss - MS-3 - ignore me - new to me, but not to everybody else!

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
edited June 2017 in FX
Saw this today whilst browsing the guitarplayer website on a conference call...........

Looks interesting - combines multi fx and pedal switching - much like a modern mini G system I guess! From the connections can`t see you could use it in 4 cable method, unless you can use one of the loops to do that. 

Look forward to reviews and seeing the price point.

https://www.boss.info/global/products/ms-3/
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    People usually are! :-(

How`ve I missed this up to now?
  • Ooh, option number 2 for mini-board:

Get an MS-3 and have two ODs (Klone and Bluesdriver clone) and an El Capistan in the 3 loops.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105

Ooh, option number 2 for mini-board:

Get an MS-3 and have two ODs (Klone and Bluesdriver clone) and an El Capistan in the 3 loops.

Why a BD clone?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9505
    edited June 2017
    I must say, whilst I wait for my Helix, I fancy one of these for my analogue 'real' board...

I do have 2 questions, which may not be answerable yet....

1.) I wonder how this MS-3 would work primarily as a midi device; say compared to a Helix or Disaster Area ?

2.) How will the effects compare to their Boss 'real' equivalent ?
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4756
    I must say, whilst I wait for my Helix, I fancy one of these for my analogue 'real' board...

1.) I wonder how this MS-3 would work primarily as a midi device; say compared to a Helix or Disaster Area ?

Re 1: It's not very clear how sophisticated the MIDI support is. I haven't yet found out (from the downloadable doc, I don't own one) how to programme MIDI, or how many commands on how many channels can be sent from one preset. Anyone worked that out? 
  • Ooh, option number 2 for mini-board:

Why a BD clone?
    Because I already have one, the JRockett Blue Note. It's very good.
  • cbellangacbellanga Frets: 572

Re 1: It's not very clear how sophisticated the MIDI support is. I haven't yet found out (from the downloadable doc, I don't own one) how to programme MIDI, or how many commands on how many channels can be sent from one preset. Anyone worked that out? 
    It looks like you can control up to 4 devices. Looks like it sends CC and PC messages + midi clock
  • revsorgrevsorg Frets: 878
    This might be a stupid question but I was looking at the D&M Drive which can use TRS insert cables to integrate into a G2.  Could you use an MS-3 instead of a G2?
  • revsorg said:
    This might be a stupid question but I was looking at the D&M Drive which can use TRS insert cables to integrate into a G2.  Could you use an MS-3 instead of a G2?
    Yes; works in exactly the same way. The D&M would take up two of the three loops on the MS-3 if I've understood it correctly
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821

You can stack the pedals, so you are not limited to 3 pedals, e.g. Klone & Bluesdriver in Loop 1, Rat & Tube Screamer in Loop 2, Delay & Reverb in Loop 3, or you can even use Loop 3 for 4CM.

Did you get get one yet?
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
  • Freebird said:

You can stack the pedals, so you are not limited to 3 pedals, e.g. Klone & Bluesdriver in Loop 1, Rat & Tube Screamer in Loop 2, Delay & Reverb in Loop 3, or you can even use Loop 3 for 4CM.

Did you get get one yet?
    No, haven't got one yet, not sure I could make use of one with this lot (minus comp, plus Rat clone & soon a JHS buffer).

https://imgur.com/gallery/Q2bRK

Might be better with an ES5.