100 watt amp into an 80watt speaker?

What's Hot
JD50JD50 Frets: 658
Can I run a 100watt amp into a Celestion G12p 80 8ohm speaker?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2574
    tFB Trader
    yes, if you are playing in your bedroom
    No if you are playing on an open air stage with the amp cooking

anything else in between a risk
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    What if I remove a couple valves to bring the amp down to half power at 50watts?
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630
    JD50 said:
    What if I remove a couple valves to bring the amp down to half power at 50watts?

Yes but you should change the amp impedance setting to 16 Ohms if you can. If not it will probably be ok at 8R.

N.B Not all 4 OPV amps allow you to run with 2, almost none of the Blackstars do and you void the warranty if you try it with the one 100 watter that will (not that it would really care!)  Note too that some '50W' amps will kick out considerably more than that. The Stage 60 easily hits 80W and I dare say a lot more if you ran one into serious distortion...See, 50 watt amps DON'T have 100 watt amp power supplies!  If mains V hops up to an allowed 250, Whaa-HEY!

Dave.

The Amp is a Tremoverb if that makes any difference?
    The Amp is a Tremoverb if that makes any difference?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Seem to recall running the Tremoverb in Valve rectifier mode knocked a few watts off, maybe down to 80 or so? And spongy mode on top of that reduced it to 60 or so...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    You have to remember that the rated output of the amp is usually the clean rating, distortion can double the output.

If you use the Tremoverb and pull 2 output Tubes it would output around 100W at full power, but due to Celestion ratings being rather conservative, you might be safe.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    ecc83 said:
    JD50 said:

Yes but you should change the amp impedance setting to 16 Ohms if you can. If not it will probably be ok at 8R.

No, 4 ohms :). The Trem-o-verb can definitely be run with only two power valves, but for the proper 'sound' you should also remove one rectifier valve if you're using the valve setting.

Cirrus said:
    Seem to recall running the Tremoverb in Valve rectifier mode knocked a few watts off, maybe down to 80 or so? And spongy mode on top of that reduced it to 60 or so…
    Yes.

Bold/diode is 100W
    Bold/tube is about 80W
    Spongy/diode is about 70W
    Spongy/tube is about 60W

(Not exact but close enough for your purposes.)

Anything other than bold/diode should be safe, if you aren't cranking the amp - if you can still get a clean sound on the orange channel at the volume you're playing, and don't go any louder than that on the red channel, you're safe.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers guys. Wont be cranking the amp nor using the heavy channels so should be good, thanks for your wisdom.
    Just need to locate a footswitch for it now..... Rocking horse shit!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72254
    JD50 said:
    Just need to locate a footswitch for it now..... Rocking horse shit!
    Any plain single-button latching footswitch will work if you just want to change the channels. If you want an LED it's in series with the switch, cathode to ground (I think!) - but not necessary for the switching to work.

If you want to switch the other functions you just need more of the same - if you use an LED in the tremolo switch it pulses in time with the effect!

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1630

"No, 4 ohms ." I stand corrected IC. I was mixing up SPEAKER load and turns ration with the doubled VALVE load (but I am getting on you know!)

The B's WOULD be safe, just that the heaters are in series!

Dave.

• DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    What always tickles me about the Tremoverb, is the fact that the trem oscillator is built around a 555 timer, which I suspect most people will have built as a school project (astable multivibrator) in physics lessons ;)