Modeller/FRFR owners, how are you getting feedback?

What's Hot
Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3469
edited June 2017 in FX
I'm not after a Freqout, before it's suggested.

I want that type of feedback that you hear on the Pulse recording of Sorrow, natural sounding and controllable. But since going FRFR I've not been able to get that sound except at ear blistering volumes, and even then it's touch and go.

With my old 5w valve amp, I'd never struggle to get it with a Muff plugged in, but FRFR makes things exceptionally hard, why is that? Is there something about a speaker cab that is more conducive to making feedback?
Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938

For good feedback you need the interaction of mid frequencies from the speakers and the guitar pickups. Traditional guitar amps and speakers can deliver those glorious mid frequencies easily. This is something I never found the FRFR set ups I tried to be able to deliver anywhere near as easily or effectively, neither the Atomic CLR or Yamaha DXR10. You can push those frequencies with EQ from a modeller but there is still something lacking in my opinion.

It's that lovely mid range that keeps bringing me back to a valve amp pushed by a good drive pedal. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8685
    It's easy to make the original sound from FRFR mid heavy. Add the right IR, and enough volume, EQ to taste, and there you are.

Personally I like to play below feedback levels. When I need it there's the old trick of touching the guitar head to the cabinet.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    It's going to require volume any way you do it.

When I've needed feedback in recordings I've sent one output to my poweramp and traditional cab and stood right infront of it, holding the pickups towards the speakers.  I'm still taking the recorded signal direct via IR (and taking the DI).  For whatever reason this just worked better than trying to get the feedback through the studio monitors.
  • rich75rich75 Frets: 36

I use a Helix into a Yamaha DXR10. The DXR10 is effectively being used as backline and is mounted on a short speaker stand at the back of the stage where my guitar amp would previously have been. Because of the stand, the speaker in the DXR10 is around waist-height and therefore roughly level with the guitar.

I never have any problems getting controllable feedback at rehearsals or gigs with this setup. I do use a fair amount of gain with plenty of mids, but certainly nothing over the top.