Undersaddle pickup low output - angled bridge the problem?

The output on the undersaddle transducer pickup on my Simon & Patrick acoustic is really low. I've tried taking the pickup out and it seems pretty response to being hit with things, so is probably OK. I noticed that the bottom of the bridge is at a bit of an angle, so that seems like it might be the culprit, except that the pickup DID work at some point, and I don't see how the bridge could have developed an angle. 

Is it possible that the pickup is supposed to have something underneath it to make the correct contact with the bridge? What would you even use for this? The action on the guitar is already super low so I don't want to have to shave more off.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Tap the pickup along it's length, they can break and work at the end nearest the lead, I'd also sand the bottom of the bridge saddle on a very flat surface . If that doesn't work a new pickup is only a tenner on eBay 
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    The pickup appears to be fine. I'm reluctant to start sanding the bridge as my first choice as the action's already pretty low. I was wondering if there was some way to put a shim under the pickup to compensate for the bridge angle?
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    Is the whole bridge leaning forward, including the wooden part ? If so, is there a gap between the soundboard and the saddle at the back
  • hessodreamyhessodreamy Frets: 116
    sweepy said:
    Is the whole bridge leaning forward, including the wooden part ? If so, is there a gap between the soundboard and the saddle at the back
    Ah no, I just mean the saddle has an angle to it. I doubt that this developed over time, so it must have worked at some point, so I'm thinking there's a way to get it working. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Is it a plain - not intonation-compensated - saddle, and if so could it be in the wrong way round? Some makers purposely angle the bottom of the saddle to help it resist the forward bending force from the strings. I didn't think Simon & Patrick did, but if you didn't buy the guitar new someone else may have done it.

If you do need to shim it, it's usually best to put the shim under the pickup.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson