How to disassemble Fender locking tuners?

I have a little problem with one of the locking tuners on my mongrel Strat, and I'd like to disassemble it, but I'm not sure where to start. I have a replacement, but before I bin the old one I'd like to take it apart, ideally without destroying it. The tuners are a recent set, made by Ping, with the big 'F' logo on the back of the thumbwheel (not the older Schaller made version). Has anyone got any experience of taking these apart? Cheers, CasperCaster.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    Just took a look at one in my parts drawer. The thumbwheel does not disconnect readily. Consequently, even with the hex nut, all washers and the button removed, there is no easy access to the gear wheel. 

I dare say that there is a way to do this but I am unwilling to risk damaging the machinehead just to find out how.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    I've never taken one apart, for the same reason - something must be peened over to stop the thumbwheel coming off… which is a massive improvement, having once having had to chase a rolling Schaller thumbwheel across a stage after it fell off!

If you have a broken one, this would be the ideal opportunity to force it open and find out how it's done, for future reference - although it's almost certain that re-assembling one would need whatever tool they use at the factory anyway, so I'm not sure how useful it would be.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CasperCasterCasperCaster Frets: 761
    edited June 2017
    The tuner is functional, but it feels as if there is something in the locking mechanism - as if there is something between the locking pin and the shaft, or possibly the locking pin has got bent? So, it does work, but the locking mechanism feels 'gritty' and I feel it might jam or let me down at a critical moment.

@Funkfingers I got as far as you and then stopped for the same reason. Perhaps I'll try YouTube again, and try some other forums before sacrificing it, but I haven't been able to find anything yet - perhaps the reason is simply that there isn't a practical way to do it.

@ICBM, as I said above, I'm not quite ready to sacrifice it yet but if that happens I'll certainly share for the benefit of others. Do you think it might be worth trying to flush the shaft out in case there is a bit of something stuck in there. Or will it just wash out the lubricant from the main tuner mechanism? Also, are the Schaller version constructed differently? If so, I might keep an eye out for those if I ever need another set!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    The Fender/Schaller locking 'heads are constructed slightly differently. The machining is more precise. The thumbwheel is not secured onto the locking pin thread. Most critically of all, the locating pegs on the back of the casing are positioned differently. You would need to drill a new hole in the headstock. In the event that you reverse the modification, the additional locator hole may be partially exposed.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.