Constantly breaking strings.......

What's Hot
simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
edited June 2017 in Guitar
I keep breaking strings and it's doing my head in! 

It's happening on both my Tele and Les Paul. 
I use D'Addarios 11-48 tuned to Eb. 
I've checked the pack is legit using their online checker/qr code thingy. 
I use the Dunlop Black Jazz Xl Tortex picks usually. 
If.... Rather when u change strings, I usually get a couple hours straight practice out of them then the next time I play I dually break one. Practice, as in band practice, not just widdling at home. 

I'm guessing I'm just a heavy player and need to not smash the granny out of everything (pick a bit lighter). 

Any other thoughts? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12885
    Do they always break in the same place? 

If so, where? 

What restringing method do you use? 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14181
    tFB Trader
    are they breaking in the same place - ie near a contact point at a bridge, string tree or tuner - as that might be an issue - But pretty bad luck if breaking them on 2 guitars so quickly - You'd still have to be fairly heavy handed to break them from picking power alone - Ernie Ball claim there new Paradigm strings last longer but not sure if that is the case if you are an aggressive picker/player

heck out any break at contact point first
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72245
    simonbeckwith said:

I usually get a couple hours straight practice out of them then the next time I play I dually break one. Practice, as in band practice, not just widdling at home.
    Are you cleaning the strings before you put the guitar away?

That sounds like corrosion spots forming - usually at the contact points, particularly the bridge saddles - so the next time you play the string is weakened there and snaps.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OK, usually breaking around the bridge area. Always use Dunlop string cleaner before and after playing and wipe down strings with a beer cloth type towel, a Guinness one to be exact

I've taken some very fine sand paper to each of the saddles to ensure there are no sharp edges that may have been missed. 

At a bit of a loss really!

I have lighter plectrums I will try, both jazz xl and standard sized
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited June 2017
    I have a set of D' Addarios on my slide Strat which was put on in 2001. Admittedly they sound a tad dead now - but no breakages -  to be fair the guitar is played pretty infrequently.

In my entire playing career, I've hardly ever broken a string - so I reckon it has a lot to do with technique.

A heavy right hand may well be your issue....
  • I'm thinking this may be the case. Prior to the past 3 months, I can't remember the last time I broke one with new strings, a given when they're months old etc, just seems to be happening a lot recently.... Very strange 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Rub the next broken wound string over the saddles. I've found that helps. 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    cleaning the contact area of the bridge is worth looking at in case of any rough edges at that point - is it always the same string (s) that break - - good tip from @MattFGBI as well as you are trying to clean 'rough edges'
  • That's what I've done with fine sand paper but will defo try with a broken string next time, cheers for the tip. 

Only ones I've not broken are low and high e! 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    I reckon I could count on two hands the amount of times I've broken a string in all my years playing. 

Obviously an airy-fairy limp wristed string-tickler 
  • Lol! 
    tFB Trader
    That's what I've done with fine sand paper but will defo try with a broken string next time, cheers for the tip. 

Only ones I've not broken are low and high e! 
    I would guess if you are breaking all those strings then 'heavy handed' playing - Not that it is wrong, but option 1) is the next gauge up option 2) accept it 3) option 3) is more tenderness

You've probably broken more strings in a week/month than I have in 10 years
  • Prior to this recent stint it was rare that I broke a string, and if it broke it was due to it being on the guitar for a few months so understandable. Recent breakages have been after probably less than 10 hours playing time 
  • GavRichListGavRichList Frets: 7155
    Buy a pack of Gabriel Tenorio strings from James at Home of Tone - if you can break one of those, you're obviously using a razor blade instead of a plectrum. 
    tFB Trader
    Normally someone might break the same say E string in the same place on 1 guitar - but to be breaking so many different strings on 2 different guitars and you'd be safe to assume it is not a fault on the saddle - other than been a heavy picker (and that is not a fault) then unsure what else to suggest

maybe stupid question but are the saddles worn - saddles on a 'cheaper' guitar, often with money metal can be bad, but unsure what guitar you have and even if saddles are worn by the contact area - again is the break angle to steep on either guitars
  • Well after looking at my 2006 LP Studio the saddles are pretty worn, things have improved by wrapping around the tailpiece which reduces the break angle.

My Richie Kotzen tele is about a month old, I'm on my 3rd set of strings with that
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3053
    Always use Dunlop string cleaner before and after playing and wipe down strings with a beer cloth type towel, a Guinness one to be exact....
    It's a string rebellion against the Guinness towel IMO....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• How dare they! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    Sounds like you might make a good, loud drummer.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha! Not the first time I've heard that either!