Constantly breaking strings.......

What's Hot

Comments

• DulcetJonesDulcetJones Frets: 515
    I've been there, in my case it was the drummer in the band I was in.  He played LOUD, which caused everybody to turn up.  I eventually got a bigger amp(100 watt 4x10 Yamaha).  That solved it.  

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Our drummer is a big hitter no doubt about that. 50w combo is more than loud enough to drown him out if needed though ;) 
  • vizviz Frets: 10682
    Try the next gauge down (not up!!).

Your top string is an 11. I use custom lites, which are 9 11 16 26 36 46. So my 11 is tuned to B. You're tuning that 11 string up an additional 4th. Try 10s (or 9s). I haven't broken a string in years though I'm quite a light player anyway. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'll keep that in mind, cheers mate
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14195
    tFB Trader
    Well after looking at my 2006 LP Studio the saddles are pretty worn, things have improved by wrapping around the tailpiece which reduces the break angle.

My Richie Kotzen tele is about a month old, I'm on my 3rd set of strings with that
    I know many like the tailpiece down as far as it can go, but a tighter break angle, coupled with 'worn' saddles won't help with string breaking on the LP - Wrapping over the tailpiece will reduce the break angle and hopefully less breakage - Don't know how worn your saddles are - maybe  a pic will help but if to worn the replace accordingly

Doesn't help with the Tele though - should not be worn saddles on a guitar only 1 month old, but could still have  a rough 'slot at the contact point with the strings - Worth checking they are not breaking at the point of the bridge assembly where they come out of the base before the actual saddle
  • I reckon new saddles for the LP will help, I'll upload a pic of them next time one breaks.... 

I'll use the tip from @MattFGBI and use a broken string to run across the saddles of the tele. 

Fingers crossed! Cheers all! 
  • HoofHoof Frets: 491
    As far as doing anything to improve your right hand technique, if you suspect that may be at fault, try actually using stiffer picks. I know it may sound counter-intuitive but I used to break quite a few strings playing a 11-54 set tuned to C standard with .73 tortex plectrums. Now I use Big Stubby 2mm Nylon picks I can't remember the last time I broke one. 

A stiffer, sharper pick will force you to play in a more precise manner. It'll feel weird at first but stick with it and you'll improve as a player and break less strings. I think a floppy pick just leads to a clumsier paying technique.
  • I've never been a fan of thinner picks,.88 is my limit. 
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Hi man, I pick fairly heavy too and use a 3mm pick so lots of weight going into it. I rarely break strings and I'm using 9 - 46. As others have suggested if its always breaking in the same spot sound like there may be a burr or something on the saddles?
    Could also try a drop of lubricant on the saddles too. Most people lube their nuts (ooh err) but forget about the saddles which is another real friction point.

• Nice one @Adji I use pencil lead/graphite at the nut, I assume the same is fine for the saddles? Maybe I'll be better off with 10's, I shall investigate! 
  • mesatelemesatele Frets: 27

I have a similar problem. I keep breaking the E string on my favourite tele. Not in obvious places - not near the nut or the bridge, just half way down the neck and not where I am playing. The frets seem fine, no sharp edges or anything.

I bought a set of Paradigms but they are so expensive I'll need a special occasion to break open the packet.

• Good to know I'm not alone! I daren't look at how expensive they are tbh, I try to buy string in bulk packs of ten to keep the cost down, £40 ish or thereabouts
  • AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    Nice one @Adji I use pencil lead/graphite at the nut, I assume the same is fine for the saddles? Maybe I'll be better off with 10's, I shall investigate! 
    Yeah man. Obviously it is my job to suggest our Lubrikit, but any lubricant is fine.

If you find there is nothing wrong with the saddles etc and you really do just keep hitting the strings 'too' hard (though I've certainly never come across it) maybe try our NYXL which are even more break resistant / tougher.

• simonbeckwithsimonbeckwith Frets: 215
    edited June 2017
    I've tried the NYXL and they break just as quickly as the standard Daddario strings.... I don't think it's a string issue per session, but either technique or a burr on the saddles, or both! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Maybe try to keep your temper in check. Anger management classes can help.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    @simonbeckwith ; even a heavy handed fucker like me doesn't break strings, and you've seen how I hit strings. You need to lighten up.
    My picking and fretting got much lighter by doing nothing but alternate picking exercises for a few weeks. Got to be worth a try.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• I'm 80% certain it's me, and then 20% on the saddles at the mo 
  • MattFGBIMattFGBI Frets: 1602
    Can you post a video of you playing? 
    This is not an official response. 

contactemea@fender.com 

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72261

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom