NAD DV Mark Micro 50

mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
I have been after a small, light weight amp for practice and as a gigging back up to my cornford roadhouse 50 2x12 for ages. I also needed a light weight gigging amp for some of the small city centre venues where you have to park miles away or in a multi storey.

My current rehearsal and backup to the cornford was a peavey classic 50. This is a cracking amp but lugging 2 50w 2x12 amps to every gig was becoming too much and at times impossible due to space or access restrictions at the venue.

Anyway after considering the dv Mark amps, quilter and the matrix vb800 I got the dv mark micro 50 in a great deal with @koss59 (deal with him with confidence by the way, top bloke to deal with!).

The micro 50 fits the bill perfectly. It's tiny and weighs practically nothing! It doesn't sound completely like a valve amp but it's bloody close and in a live band mix you would never know. Through the 2x12 cornford V30s it's plenty loud enough and works great as a loud, clean pedal platform. I'm using a thorpy gunshot and peacekeeper into mine.

Only slight criticisims are that it is very bassy but the eq is very powerful and works across the entire sweep of the controls so that can be dialled out. Also when using the clean channel if you have the drive control for the drive channel turned up you can hear a very slight distortion of the trail of the clean note. Nothing you can hear in a band mix though and not an issue for me as I want it for a clean pedal platform. 

Also its so small it fits inside the back of the speaker cabinet of the cornford! 

Just ordered the dv Mark 1x12 cab to go with it so all in all I will have a loud, great sounding, giggable rig that is about 10kg in total!!!

as I say it won't replace the cornford but it's a bloody great amp where weight and space are an issue and is a fantastic backup amp solution 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Nice one! The Quilter is pretty bass heavy too and I tend to run it with the bass almost completely rolled off.
    I have to say it's very refreshing to rock up at a festival, as I did yesterday, with pedalboard, amp and cables all in nothing more than a laptop backpack.
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 318
    I know what you mean! I live in a 4th floor flat and when I get home from a gig, knackered at whatever o'clock in the morning sometimes the prospect of lugging those big valve amps back up to the flat is daunting to say the least.

but with the dv mark it will be cab in one hand, pedal board in the other and guitar, amp and cables in my gig bag on my back!!
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Glad you're enjoying it mate! It's amazing what you can do without valves these days IMO.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/