Expression Pedals

What's Hot
kelvinburnkelvinburn Frets: 156
Every chance I could win most stupid question of 2014 with this. Are all expression pedals more or less the same in operation or are they product specific. IE would I have to buy a Line 6 exp pedal for line 6 products or would a moog do the job too. Thanks for not laughing too loudly. Kelvin
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    As long as you can assign a pedal in the firmware/menu of the device you're controling a lot will work fine.
    I always used the EB Vol Pedals as they have great travel.

Bad calibration=bad tone- I used one as a Whammy pedal for the IPS33B and the calibration was essential

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Cheers @Gassage
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

I use Boss FV-500 pedals with the Axe-FX

they're great..

play every note as if it were your first
  • @kelvinburn I don't know if you just happened to mention Line 6 off the top of your head, but I have a spare Line 6 EX1 pedal for use with, amongst others, the M-series. If that's what you're looking for, drop me a line and I might be able to do you a deal.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    The have different pots I think. I know there are some which dont work with specific products.
  • Thanks for the advise chaps. @vasselmeyer pmd cheers. Kelvin
  • Just resurrecting this coz I bought a cheap xp pedal to use with a Headrush gigboard and I think I may have got the wrong thing...it doesn't have any switch, so patches with a Wah have the Wah always on...or is there some way I can set this so that it is switchless - i.e. zero = off?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72307
    It's not a stupid question and is more complicated than you might think...

There are two basic types - variable resistance, and potential divider. A variable resistance type will use a mono (TS) jack or captive cable/plug, and needs to be the right resistance to work with the unit or the control range will be wrong.

A potential divider type will use a stereo (TRS) jack or cable/plug and doesn't need to be a specific resistance, but some are also connected differently - some have the tip and ring connections reversed, and if you use the wrong one it will behave oddly.

In order to use it as a switch, the unit it's controlling will need to be programmed so that a particular range of control values can be used to toggle the effect on and off. I can't answer that for the Headrush unfortunately.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Thanks - the Headrush has a 'Toe' input which seems to be there to take a feed from an xp pedal with such a switch and a separate output for it (there is a Mission pedal like this but it is quite pricey). I'm thinking as a stop gap I could make use of a separate single button footswitch I already have to activate the wah...or one of the switches on the unit itself. For gigging, I think I would probably use my switchless wah in any case.

I don't think the Headrush has the option to auto-engage the wah but I'll check...
  • susbemolsusbemol Frets: 400
    Adding a switch to a standard expression pedal isn't quite so straight forward to get right for mechanical reasons. It may be worth considering getting a broken wah and modding it to become an expression pedal with a built-in switch. It's a fairly straight forward thing to do and you would have both the expression output (TRS) and the switch toe output (TS) to use with the Headrush.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 895
    edited October 2019
    I just plugged my old Marshall 1 button footswitch into the 'toe' input of the Headrush and that seems to work well - it switches between the 'A' and 'B' expression pedals on the unit, so it can be the volume and when I click the footswitch it changes to Wah...or whatever...I'm happy with that as a solution for the moment. I really like this little xp pedal btw...very cool:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0786XL4PD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00