Fret Size?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    The best frets I've played are the small stainless ones on my EVH Wolfgang, really love them.. Largest frets I have are on my Jim Root Telecaster, there like drain pipes.

If I could I'd get the Wolfgang frets fitted to all of my guitars.. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    I don't know what PRS you have but I've owned six over the years (only one left now) and they all had jumbo frets.
    PRSs have medium frets. (At least the standard production ones do, I don't know if they offer bigger ones as an option.)

Jumbo frets are the sort of thing you find on USA Charvels - they feel like rails across the neck :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5013
    ICBM said:
    PRSs have medium frets. (At least the standard production ones do, I don't know if they offer bigger ones as an option.)
    Jumbo frets are the sort of thing you find on USA Charvels - they feel like rails across the neck :).
    The interweb consensus would suggest normal PRS frets are closest to 6150s ie jumbos, except the DGT which apparently has 6100s or super jumbos (USA Charvels have super jumbos too, if you can believe what you read on the web). 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    I suppose it depends how you define "jumbo"...

To me frets that are in the middle of the size range are medium. There are certainly much bigger frets than PRS ones, which (to me) feel much more different from PRS frets than PRS frets do from Fender ones.

Calling PRS frets "jumbo" is a bit like calling 11-gauge strings "light" just because they once were at the bottom of the range.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    The interweb consensus would suggest normal PRS frets are closest to 6150s ie jumbos, except the DGT which apparently has 6100s or super jumbos (USA Charvels have super jumbos too, if you can believe what you read on the web). 

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the Suhr I used to own had 'Heavy' frets (their nomenclature). Certainly in terms of height, they were much bigger than standard PRS frets. Out-and-out rock guitars (Jackons, etc) have much bigger frets than my Suhr did...
    ICBM said:
    I suppose it depends how you define "jumbo"...

To me frets that are in the middle of the size range are medium. There are certainly much bigger frets than PRS ones, which (to me) feel much more different from PRS frets than PRS frets do from Fender ones.

Calling PRS frets "jumbo" is a bit like calling 11-gauge strings "light" just because they once were at the bottom of the range.
    Calling jumbo frets 'medium' just because they seem to be the norm nowadays, doesn't make them middle of the size range. According to Warmoth, 6150s are 'jumbo' and it's the second largest size they offer. The only bigger size they do, 6100s, they describe as "Huge!". All I know is that the frets on my PRS McCarty are bigger than the frets on my Fender CS and Historic LP guitars, which have 6105 'medium/tall' and 6130 'medium jumbo' frets respectively (or nearest equivalent Jascar for the Gibbo). 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    edited August 2013
    So if they're bigger than vintage Fender and Gibson frets and smaller than modern Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez frets, don't you think they're actually medium, and not jumbo? There's at least as much difference either way.

I give up.

ICBM said:
    So if they're bigger than vintage Fender and Gibson frets and smaller than modern Charvel/Jackson/Ibanez frets, don't you think they're actually medium, and not jumbo? There's at least as much difference either way.

I give up.
    I refer the honourable gentleman to my previous post, and also suggest he checks out the difference between 6105 and vintage Fender frets.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11590
    tFB Trader
    I think that the PRS wire is closest to Dunlop 6155 - 0.047"tall x 0.104" wide

6100 is 0.055" tall x 0.110" wide
    6000 is 0.058" tall x 0.116 wide

Allparts introduced one that was TWICE as big as any of these - STOOPIDLY big
    We have some and my colleague Tom fretted his Baritone with it 
    It's like playing scalloped frets

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    richardhomer;14549" said:
    [quote="ThePrettyDamned;14530"]Tall for a light left hand touch, thin for intonation. The thing I hate about thin frets is, while they are lovely for me, they wear down quick.
    I'm not sure this is true. My 20 year old Martin has thin (and fairly low) frets which show little wear. I use 13s on it and it is nowhere near needing a fret-dress. Similarly I have owned several Fenders with vintage spec frets and I have never had any of those dressed either.[/quote]

I've only had one guitar for that amount of time and it's had 6dresses and one refret.
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    John_P said:
    Big frets for me..    Something about the feel of skinny frets that I don't like.    It's the one thing I would change about my PRS and when they eventually need a refret I'll go for something slightly bigger.
    I've never thought to measure any of them - I currently gig a 2005 Custom 24 and a 2012 US tremonti,  I've owned another 3 (Cu22, Cu24, Swampash special).
    I've had several superstrat type guitars the FELT like they had bigger frets.   Certainly when I play I can feel the fingerboard and even though I dig in and play quite hard I'm sure other guitars have at least felt like the frets were higher (and wider).

There's very little in it but enough for me to notice :-)
    I don't know what PRS you have but I've owned six over the years (only one left now) and they all had jumbo frets.