On which attempt did you pass your driving test ? What age were you ?

What's Hot

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    1st time aged 23 in 1993
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Flink_PoydFlink_Poyd Frets: 2490
    Car 1st time at 17
    Motorbike 1st time at 18/19
    Nobody is guaranteed tomorrow.....

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    1st , I was 19 ( I was nearly 19 before I started lessons). 

I went to to school with Ian Painter who along with being an also ran pro footballer ( briefly for Stoke and Coventry ) had initially shot to fame* by passing his driving test on his 17th birthday. He's not the only one ever to do so but it's reasonably rare I should think (probably more so now you have a separate theory and practical test). 

* he appeared in The Sun 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Driving test - 1st go when I was 18 (in 1979). I didn't give a damn about passing that, as I had my motorbike test the next week. This was my second go at my motorcycle test!  FFS, NOBODY failed their bike test back then. Except ME.

Bizarrely I had the car test and the 2nd motorbike test at the same centre, and with the same tester - 1 week apart. The guy took the bribe and passed me on both. Yay!! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4768
    17 for both car and motorcycle - first time.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    19, 3 attempts and still not passed! 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9592
    18, first time. I'd spent ages learning from my dad but got stuck in a rut, not learning anything but the basics. Went for a proper lesson and the instructor said "book your test now, a few more lessons and you'll pass!" Problem was, it was the end of the summer and I was off to university, so I re-arranged the test for the Christmas holidays. Came back from university after not having touched a car for three months, one quick lesson and test next morning. In the first five minutes I took a shallow junction too close and felt the tyres rub against the kerb and assumed I'd blown it. Maybe that relaxed me, or I did something well in recovering from it, but I passed!

My sister lives just round the corner from that junction now and I always think of that lucky day when I visit!

A couple of my friends passed a few weeks after after their 17th birthdays, having grown up driving bangers around their dad's fields from about the age of 12.
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    Passed on 2nd attempt when I was 22. First attempt was same year and on my second attempt I swear I drove worse. The guy who passed me was an ex Policeman.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
    My wife got hers 2nd go, hill start with crap clutch control, big judder and monster roll back......fail !!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24263
    18 first attempt for car, about six months later I passed my bike test on the first attempt too.  Institute of Advanced Drivers Gold Award two years ago, Advanced Tactical Pursuit course last year.

Only two of those are true.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    17 passed first time after 20 lessons. 
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    First time. I was 20.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2234
    4th attempt 18 passed psv 1st time at 46
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    First time at 17.
    I was lined up to do my HGV (at 21) when the rules changed so you couldn't do that until 25. Annoyingly a mate did his at 21, he's about 5 months older than me.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14185
    tFB Trader
    3rd time - started 17 - can't recall if 17 or 18 when passed - I was gigging at 18, so certainly driving then

Recall a friend who started at 17 who failed his test on the 3 point turn - he somehow failed to turn around and set of in the same direction he started from
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Second attempt, 18.

Failed my first test for 'coasting'...apparently.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549

Third time at 17 in 1994. Glad I passed that early, it wasn't long after that you didn't get minibuses on a normal license.

Failed the first one for drug running, second one for securities fraud.

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26927
    Second go, aged 19. 

First one was very close, but failed on the penultimate junction. I suspect the examiner (correctly) clocked that I was fundamentally competent but shitscared and not quite ready so was looking for a reason to give a major. 

Second test was a breeze.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    5th time at 33! I still don't think the first fail when I was 17 was my fault. The other 3 fails definitely were though; just got too nervous in the tests after that first one and did stupid stuff, so left it about 15 years and got through straight away.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    1st - and I still drive with the same impeccable attention to detail. In fact I drove myself to my own test in my own car as my Dad failed to turn up for the appointment and I didn't want to miss it!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>