What are some "stupid guitar rules" you believe in?

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Alnico said:
    My guitars are all on hangers now except for my Relic Telecaster which is on a hercules floor stand. I have to park my tremolo guitars with the pickup selector in the neck position on my strat and the bridge position on my Ibanez.
    Also the straight section of the arm where the end / tip is has to be in line parallel to the strings. 
    All my guitars have to wear their straps at all times but they're all fitted with Dunlop straplocks.
    the straps can't come down across the body, they have to hang down along the top edge of the guitar so as to not obscure the body 'Top' as you look at them.
    All control knobs have to be parked on number 10.
    Each guitar has some kind of framed picture or photo hanging behind the neck that pertains in some meaningful way to that guitar.
    My 'myth and magic' dragons must be on top of my amp at all times.

There's probably more....
    Ah Tramodol Nights...
    You said it man !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Never take all the strings off at once.
    Wives will come to appreciate your playing over time.
    Take risks when playing (I read a Keith quote once.....actually I swear by this).
    You should learn the fretboard - I don't believe in this one but can't let it go.
    thebreeze said:
    Take risks when playing (I read a Keith quote once.....actually I swear by this).
    You should learn the fretboard - I don't believe in this one but can't let it go.
    Does this help?

http://i.imgur.com/q9qrjUf.jpg

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2801
    Alnico said:
    thebreeze said:
    Does this help?

http://i.imgur.com/q9qrjUf.jpg

Thank you. Let's see...
  • BBBluesBBBlues Frets: 635
    I'm not interested unless it says Fender or Gibson on the headstock.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Until I own a Dumble I will always be mediocre as a guitarist and also as a human.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9658
    Buying this guitar will make me a better player.
    That one's true though, isn't it?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • HAL9000 said:
    No so far.... But I'll keep trying.  ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    HAL9000 said:
    No so far.... But I'll keep trying.  ;)
    Best advice I've heard in years.
    I'll join you.
    :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    The more goop in your OD pedal, the better it is.
  • Almach said:
    Telecasters are for fat people.
    Teletubbies?
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobliefeldbobliefeld Frets: 425
    RICHARD WAS RIGHT
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Alnico said:
    Alnico said:
    My guitars are all on hangers now except for my Relic Telecaster which is on a hercules floor stand. I have to park my tremolo guitars with the pickup selector in the neck position on my strat and the bridge position on my Ibanez.
    Also the straight section of the arm where the end / tip is has to be in line parallel to the strings. 
    All my guitars have to wear their straps at all times but they're all fitted with Dunlop straplocks.
    the straps can't come down across the body, they have to hang down along the top edge of the guitar so as to not obscure the body 'Top' as you look at them.
    Each guitar has some kind of framed picture or photo hanging behind the neck that pertains in some meaningful way to that guitar.

Ah Tramodol Nights...
    You said it man !

Huh, I'vew got some myth and magic stuff from when I was a kid! I won a couple of prototypes (including a fairly big Celtic Dragon one that's pretty cool) and my little brother won a Grandis Bellator in a raffle, which I think is limited edition. 

Not worth so much now, but brings a smile to my face for the memories. I loved those things, and will always keep the bigguns. 
  • brojanglesbrojangles Frets: 362
    That putting strings narrower than 13s on my dreadnought will cause my penis to fall off. 
    That lots of clicking and scratching on muted strings will make me as funky as Prince. 
    That not playing blues-rock magically exempts me from being a middle aged guitar nerd. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Alnico said:
    Alnico said:

Ah Tramodol Nights...
    You said it man !

Huh, I'vew got some myth and magic stuff from when I was a kid! I won a couple of prototypes (including a fairly big Celtic Dragon one that's pretty cool) and my little brother won a Grandis Bellator in a raffle, which I think is limited edition. 

Not worth so much now, but brings a smile to my face for the memories. I loved those things, and will always keep the bigguns. 
    At last count we've got 50 Dragons.
    The biggest one we have (The Invader) sits on top of my amp. along with the slightly smaller one (Prince of Dragons).
    Natasha has collected them since she was 19 and we first met. She's got some Limited Editions too and some exclusive 'Members only' pieces. They go for buttons now on Ebay!
    They're special to us and the one's she gave me live on my amp and always have done.
    They MUST stay there!!
    lol.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    When picking up a guitar in a shop I must go straight to the fifth fret and play a bluesy lick that involves a bend on the G string, how that feels will inform whether or not to buy it.

Its wrong to have volume and tone at 10 so I set them to just below 10.

Reading and talking about guitar will make me a better player.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    New rule after today:

Listen to people who know their shit, particularly when it comes to Strats.

They are not anachronistic commonplace piles of junk, they can actually be really bloody good guitars.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • jaytmonjaytmon Frets: 168
    A_T_W said:

(And saying you hate people who have stupid rules about guitars will get you tutted at loudly)
    Can't believe no one's said this yet, but I hate people who have stupid rules about guitars ;) 

Also, new, relic'd guitars are utterly pointless.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5005
    Funkfingers said: My favourite stupid rule seen on repair instruments is obeyed by people who align all of the polepiece screw slots on a humbucker perpendicular to the strings. They should stay behind after class to be tweaked.
    Absolutely. Cos everyone knows the screws should really be aligned to the 'sawtooth' positions.
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • midlifecrisismidlifecrisis Frets: 2343
    guitar solos on strats should be played with your head leaning forward over the guitar. on a les paul your head should be thrown back leaning away from it.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom