Does anybody run their computer through their amp?

adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
Wasn't sure exactly where to post this.

But I mostly play guitar using my macbook with headphones as it's easier for where I live. But I much prefer using an amp. But obviously I am a bit more limited to different tones with just my amp and my few pedals. i use guitar rig and amplitube.

So last night I decided with what primitive tools I have to have the guitar connected to the macbook and then the had then connected the headphone socket out into the input of my amp on the clean channel.

It actually sounded pretty good. does anybody else do this? or is there other ways of doing it?
Some of the distorted sounds had a lot of buzz through the amp is there any way of getting rid of that? it also happens when I use the headphones straight from the mac to be fair.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Hi Adam. I assume you use a pedal between guitar and the mac's 3.5mm input  to present the guitar with a high input impedance?

The headphone out is a bit 'wrong' since is stereo and you usually need to combine the two channels to get the best sound, but hey, if it works don't fix it!

The 'buzzing' you get is inherent in high gain OD sounds no matter how you get them. Computer software or analogue valves or transistors . It is picked up by the guitar and there is little you can do about it. Humbuckers help as does swinging the guitar around to find a 'null' spot. Peeps notice these noises when they use guitars in an 'intimate' situation. Gigging, it gets drown out (mostly by the drummer)

If you get a few bob spare you might look into getting an Audio Interface, makes thing easier and you will also get some recording software.

Dave.

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Why do you prefer using an amp if I may ask? Why not play the sim into a decent set of speakers?

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Thanks Dave, It's rather primitive set up really but want to find out more. I may be moving so if I do I will have space to set this stuff up properly. 

I've got a USB guitar lead I think it's made my Lindy straight into the mac. It sounds ok but I have to roll the volume off on my guitars to about 8 otherwise the sound is harsh and breaks up. 
    It was a bit of a pain setting it up on the mac originally with the aggregate device stuff but seems to be working ok.

I'm just using it for home use but I want to start to create some video content and recording so I will have to look into this further.

• adamm82adamm82 Frets: 448
    Why do you prefer using an amp if I may ask? Why not play the sim into a decent set of speakers?

Yeah I probably could do that. I never really thought to do it. 
    Are bluetooth speakers out of the question for this purpose? I tried to use bluetooth headphones and the delay made it impossible to use. 

• bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    adamm82 said:

Yeah I probably could do that. I never really thought to do it. 
    Are bluetooth speakers out of the question for this purpose? I tried to use bluetooth headphones and the delay made it impossible to use. 

You could use a cheap speaker plugged into the headphone jack of your Mac.  I use a Nude speaker when I'm using my GT-001 and it sounds good.  

https://www.amazon.co.uk/NudeAudio-Universal-Portable-Wireless-Bluetooth/dp/B00D4MT9S0/
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited June 2017
    ...wonder what Windows 7 sounds like through a Wah Wah...? Would be no point trying a Delay though...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

"I'm just using it for home use but I want to start to create some video content and recording so I will have to look into this further."

That is a bit of a minefield Adam. Audio and video systems do not seem to play well together. Macs might be different but in W7 you cannot record video from the internal camera  AND audio from another source in real time.

One thing you will need is a good Audio Interface. You have already mentioned 'delay'? This is called 'Latency' in the Audio computer world and causes people NO END of problems. Most are due to a poor AIs and crap drivers for same. One interface that stands head and shoulder above the rest in the £150-£250 bracket is the Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. It also works well with macs, or in fact ANY OS including Linux and Blista.

Bit 'o' money yes, but in the musical instruments/amps world...Peanuts, and we won't even mention drum kit!

There is a forum (but come back!) called 'homerecording.com and they have a podcasting section, worth a look. Not MY bag of tricks I fear.

Dave.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    Focusrite 2i2 --> Biasfx --> monitor speakers --> happy guitarist :)
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589
    LuttiS said:
    Focusrite 2i2 --> Biasfx --> monitor speakers --> happy guitarist :)

I rate the 2i2 as poor value and no MIDI ports. The Steinberg UR22 is at least as good AND cheaper AND gives you Cubase AND MIDI. if the F'rite adpuff machine REALLY has you 'Gassing' at least go to the 2i4 and make SURE you buy the Gen ll version.

Dave.

• LuttiSLuttiS Frets: 2243
    I'll check out the UR22, currently using Reaper and all works nicely together.

I imagine the end results the same though --> Happy guitarist :]