Relief: Slightly Baffled

What's Hot
After cleaning and restringing my guitar (same brand, same gauge strings) I noticed that there was absolutely no relief in the neck. 

This seems really counterintuitive to me: I can see how a truss rod might slip over time and you'd need to re-tighten it but having to loosen it when its had the same brand and gauge of strings on it for pretty much ten years seems weird. I did move house 6 months ago, do you reckon that could be it? 

Any ideas? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72300
    If the truss rod was completely slack and moved slightly when all the strings were off, it will now be tighter because it hasn't quite gone back into the same indentations in the wood. This isn't very common because it's rare for the rod to be completely slack when you take the strings off, and even if it is there usually isn't any free movement - but I have come across it a few times.

Moving house is more likely to be the reason though - is the new house likely to have higher humidity than the old? That will make the wood swell and effectively tighten the rod.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ChuffolaChuffola Frets: 2026
    +1 Certainly, when my wood swells it tightens the rod.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 12896
    Moved from a relatively old flat in a city to a new build by the sea---imagine the humidity is a bit different here. This house is definitely warmer.