Safe DIY way to spray Nitro?

What's Hot
I've been wanting to do this for quite a while on some guitar bodies I have - the hazards of Nitro (rattle can) always put me off. I've looked at various masks on Amazon and nearly bitten the bullet, but thought I would ask what people do here? I could spray outside, I don't need thick layers of the stuff, just thin finishes are fine. What is the recommended DIY mask to buy, and should I worry about particles getting on clothes and then breathed in later, or brought in the house (I have a 3yo) or am I being paranoid? Any advice welcome, as it seems a bit of a minefield when I read about it...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I dont have an answer from experience but from youtube vids etc Dan Erlewine has done lots of outdoor spraying with rattlecans. 
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

While you don't want to breathe thinners fumes or paint dust, you'll be fine outside. Or in a place with a mask (that fits) and some ventilation. With a toddler you could change your top before going indoors. You can get paper suits for cheap but that's probably slight overkill.
    I like 3M's 06941 mask, but so long as it fits and is ideally an 'organic vapour' type you're fine. If you can smell thinners with it on, there's a gap and it's not much use.

Spraying outdoors can go well, donks ago I did motorbikes outdoors with good results, but light colours on a sunny day can bring kamikaze insects wanting to swim in your fresh paint.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lamf68lamf68 Frets: 851
    I've been spraying the stuff for the last 15 years or so and while I've no doubt ruined my lungs the 20 benson and hedges going into me had probably done the worst damage anyway, I wear a Gerson mask with the paint filters, and while I wear it in my booths and have good extraction I still have mist that leaks into the rest of the garage and I wander around in them fumes for hours on end,I've no doubt the stuff is bad for you but don't keep yourself awake at night worrying about breathing in a bit of it, I'm sure you're breathing in far worse when walking along busy streets and what not. I'll have days when my eyeballs are burning from heavy spraying and try and wear goggles most of the time too. I've found the best way to tell if your mask is useless is a good tissue rammed up your hooter when you've finished, if the colour of the paint is in your bugle your mask is shot
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Proper facemask and a bit of ventilation - no problem
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ExorcistExorcist Frets: 604
    Thanks guys, '06941' mask it is then, @Corvus any idea how long that mask lasts once it is activated? @Iamf68 thanks mate, you have put some perspective on it.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

Years back they used to say a month I think, I'm not sure they do any more. There must be a data sheet online for 'em. Must admit I don't go by that, it could be more or less time depending on how heavy they get used, when breathing starts to feel even slightly more 'stiff' they get retired to workshop dust mask.

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3899
    I use a 3M filter and it only has 60 minutes (accumulative) life, not sure on others but as Bill says check the tech data sheet.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    edited July 2017
    Don't spray it indoors if you can help it. Recommended to use explosion proof fans if you do, and they are expensive. At least crack a door and wear a mask if you don't have a pro set up.

Consider waterborne lacquer.