Digitech drop tune

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1083
    I'd definitely get another guitar and set it up solely for the tuning I need it in if the band were signed/touring regularly. But as its for demo'ing at the moment I don't want to make that commitment yet.

There's a chance one of the other guitarists may get one too and set that one up for drop b so I won't have to do it on mine, if I'm learning songs or just trying to write something though the pedal might be handy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    ICBM said:
    I agree - I think the Drop is a solution for a gigging guitarist who doesn't want to take an extra guitar (or multiple ones, for more than one tuning/spares etc) for playing live. It sounds fine like that, but I wouldn't really think you would want to use it for any serious recording.

Sepultura were touring with their guitars tuned to B, and using either a Drop (I think it was) or a Morpheus to go down to A, with the same guitar. I was working for them.

In other news @Lestratcaster ; is a bad man, I've just order a Drop.........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

I know a French metalcore/pop punk band that use a drop tune live, their "standard" normal tuning is drop bb but there are a few songs in ab so I guess they use the 2 semi-tones down function on the pedal. 
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    edited July 2017
    There can be a difference between stuff that works live and stuff that works for recording.

It's impossible for the pedal to be zero latency because it has to process the sound and retune it - whether or not you'll notice any latency is another question.

According to this forum post, depending on the tuning The Drop's latency is between 12 and 17ms.  

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/some-digital-latency-measurements-including-digitech-drop-vs-ehx-pitchfork.1734022/

When you consider that in the context of a typical DAW setup you're potentially going to hit around 20ms total latency for tracking guitar parts.  YMMV but many people would find they'd feel that.  If you've got a DAW it's simple to see if that'll affect you, just add a 12ms 100% wet delay into your tracking chain and see how it feels.  If you can still play tight then go for the pedal.

I get where you're coming from and I've been in this situation myself.  There's not a zero compromise option here so you're going to have to make the best decision for you.  You clearly feel that the pedal is a better solution for you so it makes sense to try it out.
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I've been using a Morpheus for a few years and I'm not sure whether it is going wrong or I have just noticed but I don't think it does a very good job. It is very noisy (hissy) when engaged, introduces a noticeable chorus-y sound even for 1 or 2 semi-tones and I definitely feel a latency when playing. It has got to the point where I have taken it off the board and gone back to the old system of just having an extra downtuned guitar.

That said, you definitely get away with it in a band context...
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    edited July 2017
    Is there anything better than the drop in a similar price point? I was thinking about getting one for similar reasons but I'd like to record with it as well. Just home recording that is so it might be ok for that? 
    I wonder if the many people who say it doesn't sound good when you pass a certain pitch i.e lower than 3 semi-tones is because the guitar is poorly setup? Intonation issues could be a thing here.

And I'd be interested if there's something better than it, I've heard about the EHX Pitch Shifter but not seen much of it.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    I don't think setup or intonation is the issue, it's simply a limitation of the technology.  Put simply there is no current solution that will give you 3 semitones of tuning change and sound like it was played like that to begin with.

Will it still sound like a guitar - yes.  Will there be latency - yes.  Are either or both of these things an issue, that's up to you, you're going to need to try it yourself.

I don't understand why you're opposed to getting the nut filed.  There'll be no negative consequences if it is done properly, the guitar will be able to take strings for either standard or the lower tuning, it'll sound and play better, and it'll cost you less money.

It really doesn't take that long to restring a guitar and tweak the setup for either set of strings/tunings, you just need a set of allen keys and a bit of free time, and getting better at setting your own instruments up is only ever a good thing in my eyes.

From experience the latency is going to be the biggest issue, even if you can live with the sound.  If the figures I found are correct for latency it's going to be really tough to play tight pop punk/metal rhythms when the latency is going to be in the region of 20ms typically including the latency of the pedal and DAW setup.

I know you want the pedal to be the best solution, but IMO it isn't.  It's a bigger compromise, but if it is a compromise you can live with then that's all that matters.

I'd just prefer not to touch the hardware for the time being, this band could fold in a few months time so if I've messed around with the guitar its irreversible. I can easily sell the pedal if it doesn't work out. I'd probably keep it though for jamming ideas.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2891
    From demo videos I've seen the EHX one seems to add some warble and weirdness to the tone. The clips of the drop sound tight on the demos by Ryan Bruce which are chuggy metal where you'd expect to notice it.. is it more of a feel thing ?
  • dangriffithsdangriffiths Frets: 569
    Drop is better than Pitchfork for this from my playing both. Handles down to C standard fine with very minimal latency. nice to have octave stuff in case too. 

No power issues with Voodoo labs or Strymon supplies for me. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom