Giant (Dann Huff) reunion; Nice guitar bits (obvs)

What's Hot

Comments

• BorkBork Frets: 252
    Some info I remember being posted on HRI about Dann's guitar:

Dann's "model" is alder, maple neck w/rosewood fingerboard. Black in color with a matching headstock. Gold logo, gold hardware. Wilkinson VS-100 bridge. Neck & middle pickups are Duncan classic stacks (they have never been Suhr V-60 or V-60lp) & the humbucker is a Duncan TB-4. It also sports a 5 way pickup selector, and a midboost preamp along with Volume & Tone controls with gold dome knobs on a tortoise shell pickguard. There are also three black push buttons, one for each pickup, to switch each pickup individually for series/parallel operation.  

When we first started the model, the humbucker was a different make & madel that are no longer available (don't ask about it, it'll just start another feeding frenzy and I can't help you find one), but still exsists in some of the earlier Huff Models as well as in Dann's personal guitar, which, by the way is the same one you still see him using when you geat a glimpse of the man. There was an instrument made for him with an ash body & a maple neck and if I remember correctly it had a mid boost in it as well, but it wasn't a "Dann Huff Model" to my best recolection. Just a Tyler Classic set up for him. He also has/had a Tyler "Ultimate Weapon" and the now famous "Giant" guitar (a yellow, highly souped up classic) as well.  

Hope this helps

Paul

I remember reading a post by Jim Tyler on another forum (can't remember which but it had a big fanbase for 80's session guitarists) about modifying that preCBS strat for DH in the early 80's.  The levels of guilt being expressed at what happened to that strat made for entertaining, if uncomfortable, reading. lol

Love Huff's playing - great tone too.

[This space for rent]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 688
    And his tone for this gig .... " Dann used a Line 6 M9 into the low gain input of a(borrowed) Friedman Dirty Shirley. Marshall 412 with greenbacks. That's all. Most of the gain is Line 6 "

It's not the gear, it's how you use it :)
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    DLM said:
    Oh, Phil Hilborne transcribed the "I'm A Believer" solo in an old issue of Guitarist. I could look up which one (I'm pretty sure it was pre-CD) if anyone wants to remind themselves of how much their picking sucks compared to Danns... \m/ 
    Please try to find out, I'd be very interested.  
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    @bingefeller Will do. :)
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    @bingefeller @DLM, if you figure out how to do the pinch at 3:50 of I'm a believer please share.

Meantime you can work off that, the descending run in the end of the solo is a bit juicier than the record version
  • bloodandtearsbloodandtears Frets: 1646
    BGG said:
    And his tone for this gig .... " Dann used a Line 6 M9 into the low gain input of a(borrowed) Friedman Dirty Shirley. Marshall 412 with greenbacks. That's all. Most of the gain is Line 6 "

@BGG where was that nugget sourced?

My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• BGGBGG Frets: 688
    BGG said:

@BGG where was that nugget sourced?

From a Facebook page of former hugeracksinc.com members, one of which was there.
    #thebatesmotelband
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    @DLM thanks - just seeing this now, can't wait to have a go playing it in the morning!
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    As the original video seems to have gone walk-about, here is what looks to be the official version.  I preferred the sound in the other video, Dan's guitar tone was awesome IMO coming mostly off the cab, less so on what I assume is a desk mix here, still a stunning player though.

Duration 20:27

• jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    edited September 2018
    Great to see the love for Huff. He did some great work on the Faith Hill albums too, with Michael Thomson and also Vinnie Colaiuta on the drums...

Also I remember my favourite version of 'Here I Go Again'... 
    @Jaymenon The rumour has resurfaced recently that Huff played a lot of parts credited to Sykes...
  • jaymenonjaymenon Frets: 804
    edited September 2018

• westwest Frets: 994
    Saw Giant at edwards no8 in brum in the 80's i think lol .. i stood right in front of dan , it was packed his tone and playing was fab and he really was enjoying himself , alan pasqua on keys too !!    theeeeeeeese are the innocent days etc ..
    @jaymenon Thanks for sharing the links to the Producers' Room clips! Worth it just for the story of Mutt Lange's phone call: "I need your wrist, Dann". :love: I then went and listened to the Shania song in question[1] and immediately heard Dann's wrist in action. There's that magic grease for you!

I'm sure I've seen this before, maybe someone else had it uploaded, but it is worth a re-watch:

I want that blue reverse-headstock RG and *all* the guitars Dann plays. :salivate:

[1]Any Man of Mine

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    This is also worth a watch and this guy does a good job of breaking down some of his parts from times in his career, so not just Giant

Nice to see Michael Thompson being mentioned in this thread, too, as he's another fantastic session guitarist

@Kebabkid Just came here to post that after watching it last night. :)
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    DLM said:
    @Kebabkid Just came here to post that after watching it last night. :)
    The guy's next Session Talk/Analysis is going to be on Steve Lukather :)
    I'd then like to see one on Paul Jackson Jr or any of the usual Steely Dan guys like Carlton or the unsung hero, Dean Parks
  • CatthanCatthan Frets: 355
    edited October 2018
    @Kebabkid, speaking of the Steely Dan, here's Tim Pierce with Jay Graydon

Check him out, great playing.