Small amp (combo or head) suggestions.

JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
Hi all,

I've been using my combo of my Traynor YRM 4x10 and my Musicman RP65 1x12 live for a while now with great success. Both take pedals beautifully, are handwired and reliable etc.
However, both are also waaaay to loud/heavy to be carting back and forth and using at home.
I'm considering selling the Musicman and investing in something a little more portable. I previously had a '68 Princeton reissue that sounded and looked beautiful but tbh I fear for the reliability of recent Fender reissues (it didn't feel 'solid').
What I need should be-

-Small and fairly portable
-Loud enough to gig paired with the Traynor
- Take pedals well and not be fizzy and harsh
- Reliable

I'm thinking of grabbing a Quilter 101 and a couple of inexpensive 1x12 cabs (one for home one for studio). But I was wondering if you guys have any more suggestions?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    The MusicMan is not handwired, and is actually not very different in construction from a Fender reissue - both are PCB amps with chassis-mounted valve sockets, very similar in overall quality - the only significant difference is that the MusicMan's pots and jacks are chassis-mounted and the Fender's are on a separate PCB. (And due to the very high voltages MusicMan operate at, they're arguably less reliable with modern valves.)

The Princeton reissue doesn't feel 'solid' just because it's small and light - it's actually a very nicely-made, simple and reliable amp. They can be made quite a lot louder and more giggable with a 12" speaker, which if you use something like a modern Neo type won't increase the weight.

Solid-state like the Quilter should be worth considering too though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JamesSGBrownJamesSGBrown Frets: 234
    Ah, bugger me. I thought it was HW! That'll teach me to Google.

The Princeton is long gone now- I put a Ragin Cajun in it and it was the nicest sounding amp I've owned. But the pots felt really weak and I got worried I guess. If I hadn't had also needed the cash I woulda kept it.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Ah, bugger me. I thought it was HW! That'll teach me to Google.
    This is about the best pic I can find - even if it's not this exact model, they're all basically the same.

http://www.pacair.com/discus/messages/20/521.jpg

The Princeton is long gone now- I put a Ragin Cajun in it and it was the nicest sounding amp I've owned. But the pots felt really weak and I got worried I guess. If I hadn't had also needed the cash I woulda kept it.
    I wouldn't worry :). The pots are certainly not quite as high-quality as you'll find on most high-end amps, but I don't think I've ever seen a faulty one on any Fender reissue - at least discounting actual physical damage, which can happen to any amp.

They're not that rare though, it shouldn't be too hard to find another one.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited July 2017
    I'm on a big Quilter trip at the moment and really rate the 101 Reverb. I've been gigging it with an FX8 and Matrix 2x12 neo cab and it sounds great. Whether it sounds as good as valves or not is a topic for endless debate - I certainly had no one approach me after any of last weekends three gigs bemoaning the absence of valves in my sound. Loud as hell too - I've never made it past half way on the volume dial and was politely asked to turn it down a little by the sound guy at an open air festival type event on Saturday. It's highly portable as well - I can easily get that rig in from the car in one trip.