Bandaoke/Rockaoke advice & resource request

BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
Has anyone here ever played at or organised a bandaoke/rockaoke night? (basically karaoke but with a live backing band)
Me and some folks I play with thought it would make a fun night for a handful of our friends and family to come along to, just at one of our normal rehearsal nights. The plan is to get the basic chord charts for a bunch of the most popular karaoke songs then get the words up on a big screen and all have a bit of a singalong. We're not practicing beforehand so it'll be ropey as anything, but should hopefully be a lot of fun.

Anyone got any advice on doing this wort of thing?
Or got any chord charts that may be useful?
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Pick a selection of 'well known' songs, be prepared for an Elvis fan. Can you play an ABBA song?
    Just because you think it's a rock along night doesn't mean everyone will so chill out and be prepared to play some other styles to suit the odd drunk or two. They will see real musicians and instruments but still expect full blown Karryokay facilities.

It will be a blast so have fun.

• ash96ash96 Frets: 61
    We did it once and just got all the lyrics up on an ipad on a stand. Be prepared for them to not have a clue about the structure, even with lyrics in front of them, so you'll need to either cue them, or just follow them.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1763
    ESBlonde said:
    Pick a selection of 'well known' songs, be prepared for an Elvis fan. Can you play an ABBA song?
    Just because you think it's a rock along night doesn't mean everyone will so chill out and be prepared to play some other styles to suit the odd drunk or two. They will see real musicians and instruments but still expect full blown Karryokay facilities.

It will be a blast so have fun.

Thanks @ESBlonde we're planning to get the chords for some Elvis, Abba, other cheesy songs - that's what we're expecting most of it to be actually! As it'll mainly be a few family members there they already know that we're not real musicians  ;)
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Good, do you have an uncle that thinks he can sing Bat outa hell? A niece that thinks One Dire -ction are the bees leg joints, an aunt that loves Perry Como (ask your grandad) or wants to do Shout by Lulu. These are the bases you might choose to cover even if you have to sing them yourself to make everyone happy (you never can by the way, but making the evening go well counts for a lot).
    You'll have some idea of what family(s) can throw at you so prep if you can, it can be a lot of fun.
    ash96 said:
    We did it once and just got all the lyrics up on an ipad on a stand. Be prepared for them to not have a clue about the structure, even with lyrics in front of them, so you'll need to either cue them, or just follow them.
    @ash96 how did you arrange it in terms of music for the band? Did you come up with a list of songs beforehand that were the only ones available for people to sing? Or are you all musical enough that you can just comp along? (we're not!)
    ESBlonde said:
    Good, do you have an uncle that thinks he can sing Bat outa hell? A niece that thinks One Dire -ction are the bees leg joints, an aunt that loves Perry Como (ask your grandad) or wants to do Shout by Lulu. These are the bases you might choose to cover even if you have to sing them yourself to make everyone happy (you never can by the way, but making the evening go well counts for a lot).
    You'll have some idea of what family(s) can throw at you so prep if you can, it can be a lot of fun.
    I'd love someone to do bat out of hell! it'd be hilarious! None of it is serious, and it's a private thing so no one will be demanding refunds, hopefully you're right and it'll be a lot of fun.
    BigMonka said:
    ash96 said:
    @ash96 how did you arrange it in terms of music for the band? Did you come up with a list of songs beforehand that were the only ones available for people to sing? Or are you all musical enough that you can just comp along? (we're not!)
    It was basically a bunch of stuff on our repertoire already. We didnt have anything for music, however, there's an app called On Song for the ipad which you can put chord charts on, then you can sync multiple Ipads to have the same set etc, so that could work too? 
    ash96 said:
    BigMonka said:
    ash96 said:
    It was basically a bunch of stuff on our repertoire already. We didnt have anything for music, however, there's an app called On Song for the ipad which you can put chord charts on, then you can sync multiple Ipads to have the same set etc, so that could work too? 
    cheers @ash96 it's interesting that you mention OnSong as the musicians I'm talking about play together at church and I was recently wondering about ditching the paper folders in favour of an ipad solution but I've never tried it. Have you/your band tried OnSong ?
    Yeah briefly, mainly seen singers use it for lyrics, but one of the guys I play with is a singer / guitarist and when we do new tracks he has all the chord charts and lyrics on On song. Its pretty sophisticated so can do a lot with it! and its great to have that instead of a massive folder!