Helix FRFR?

What's Hot
equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6095
What FRFR solutions are you chaps using for your Helix?
Anyone using the Alto TX10?
(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• 2x Yamaha DXR10's in stereo with my Axe FX, sound great
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Mission Gemini 2 ............phenomenal sound.......best there is without doubt
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Looking for one for my Helix Lt too..........
    Atomic CLR.....pricey, large, loud and heavy...but great reviews
    Yamaha DXR10....mid price, small, lighter and good reviews on here.
    Mission Gemini 2...Where can you buy these?
    No one has one of these even close for me to test....will have to take a punt.
    Or should I just keep with my Carr Sportsman?  Both is overkill!
    help..help....thanks
    Jon

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    I know some of you use the dxr cabs - did you compare them to the dbr?

i really liked the freidman asm cab but they aren't the cheapest or lightest - now I just run into the PA with a normal guitar amp as backline. 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    John_P said:

I have a DXR10 for Helix/Kemper use and we have a pair of DBR10's for our smaller venue PA rig. I have tried them side by side with the Helix and the DXR is the better bet really - it's just a bit more punchy and defined. That's not to take away from the DBR10's though, they're amazing for vocals.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2749
    simonk said:
    John_P said:

I have a DXR10 for Helix/Kemper use and we have a pair of DBR10's for our smaller venue PA rig. I have tried them side by side with the Helix and the DXR is the better bet really - it's just a bit more punchy and defined. That's not to take away from the DBR10's though, they're amazing for vocals.
    Thanks Simon,   I'm looking to change my PA monitors from the old db operas I have and was offered a pair of dbr15's for a reasonable price.    I'm sure the sound is good enough but I wasn't sure they were as solid and hard wearing as the dxr.  I might hang on for some purpose built wedges though.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24184
    John_P said:

i really liked the freidman asm cab but they aren't the cheapest or lightest - now I just run into the PA with a normal guitar amp as backline. 
    @TimmyO compared them I think - and found the DXR to be loads better.

I've got the DXR10 as well. Very nice it is too.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2383
    2 Alto TS210s in stereo (also as wet speakers when used with my Silver Jubilee). For the price you cannot go wrong, fantastic speakers.
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    edited July 2017
    As the Helix thread is huge and we are talking FRFR here - what is your best tip for getting rid of the unwanted frequencies and "digitalness" - I am using my Helix 4CM in an amp and 1x12 - so mainly for FX. 
    I am looking at the Alto TS210 as an option - I have had some killer recorded sounds with the Helix but how do you take that sound/patch and make it useable in FRFR?
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Vaiai said:
    I am using my Helix 4CM in an amp and 1x2 
    I'd try bigger speakers.. 2" drivers can be a bit tinny.. ;)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    Vaiai said:
    I am using my Helix 4CM in an amp and 1x2 
    I'd try bigger speakers.. 2" drivers can be a bit tinny.. ;)
    Duly noted... :) Fixed

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    John_P said:

@TimmyO compared them I think - and found the DXR to be loads better.

I've got the DXR10 as well. Very nice it is too.

That thread: http://thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/98988/tested-out-some-frfr-active-speakers-with-a-helix-today/p1 ;
    Red ones are better. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7392
    Vaiai said:
    As the Helix thread is huge and we are talking FRFR here - what is your best tip for getting rid of the unwanted frequencies and "digitalness" - I am using my Helix 4CM in an amp and 1x12 - so mainly for FX. 
    I am looking at the Alto TS210 as an option - I have had some killer recorded sounds with the Helix but how do you take that sound/patch and make it useable in FRFR?
    I haven't used 4CM but on cab sims/IRs some folk use a dollop of low pass - if it's all abit busy up there for you perhaps try that? (maybe in global eq, or in an eq block) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Same issue with an AxeFX. I kill everything below 120Hz, and wind it off above about 4kHz. The exact upper frequency, and the severity of cut, depend on how much edge I want in the sound.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13938
    edited July 2017
    Vaiai said:
    Here's my tip after having tried a CLR and DXR10: stop pissing about with this FRFR bollocks, it's just a PA speaker. Stick with a valve amp which is what guitars are meant to be played through, and loud. :-)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Roland said:
    Same issue with an AxeFX. I kill everything below 120Hz, and wind it off above about 4kHz. The exact upper frequency, and the severity of cut, depend on how much edge I want in the sound.
    Pretty much exactly what I do too.  I used to use the global eb on the Helix, but now put a HILO filter as the last block in each patch as some patches need more or less highs, clean sparkly sounds in particular need less, but don't use many of those :)
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8684
    Yes, I don't use global EQ because I don't want high cut on my acoustic simulation patch
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16079
    Vaiai said:
    Tried the Alto ts210 set up -it was pretty awful..........very boomy and far too much thick bass
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Dominic said:
    Vaiai said:
    Tried the Alto ts210 set up -it was pretty awful..........very boomy and far too much thick bass

Had the Aldo before my DXR,and I didn't find that was the case at all.  I think its likely to be the EQ settings on the patches you were using
  • Vaiai said:
    Here's my tip after having tried a CLR and DXR10: stop pissing about with this FRFR bollocks, it's just a PA speaker. Stick with a valve amp which is what guitars are meant to be played through, and loud. :-)
    My tip is perseverance.

I've got the best sound I've ever had with a FRFR setup. Can't say I agree with the above comment at all.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom