Sanding

Any advice on sanding bodies? When I did the first wudtone coats, I found that I had little scratches in the wood and the belly cut wasnt clear of the previous wudtone. Is it just a case of going through the paper gradings to make sure it they are sanded out. Any handy tips for the belly cut and horns?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader

In general, go through grades till scratches are gone, a wipe with a solvent can help show them up on bare wood. Don't jump grades too much esp with the starting coarser grades. 

Use sanding blocks - buy or make. I use a set of hard foam ones, various shapes, but have made them from wood, rubber/copper/steel tube, wood sticks etc etc. Fingers/hands just ride over ripples and blocks are way faster anyway.
    For a gentle curve like a belly cut a small foam block and 1" - 2" dia cylinder block works. Scrapers can be great too, and fast. Both curves and inital hogging off old finish on the flats but I finish off with sandpaper because you feel low/high spots better.

The right paper helps. I like 3M Fre-Cut for most things but it's not cheap, it's a dry sanding paper. De-clog with your missus' toothbrush (other stiff brushes are available) makes it last longer and keep cutting.

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    Actually, the curved sanding block is a genius idea for the belly cut!