Alrighty then, a JOYO amp for + £1000

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
https://m.thomann.de/gb/joyo_klonz.htm

Has some programmable pre's and app control but not more sophisticated than a Mesa really. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Resale value of a tenner ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72246
    It's more creatively ugly than anything I've seen for quite some time.

There's some sort of 60s German accordion amp vibe to it...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7959
    Interesting.

I guess it's a sign of the times that an amp designed to get the sound and feel of classic amps has 25 watts.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    It seems like anything with the letters k-l-o-n in it automatically commands a high price.
    Does look kind of interesting though.
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    I saw the initial crowdfunding for this and the concept is brilliant. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9687
    Looks like one of these:
    https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/47/98/ed/4798ed80cabe07dcd09a054c51404a76--sandwich-is-jerry-oconnell.jpg

Cool concept though, it's also I think only branded Joyo because they funded it from the Crowd Funding stage isn't it? Cheaper than that dude's vintage strat in any case
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    edited July 2017
    I think it looks like an interesting product.  

Seems like a Chase Bliss of amps, analogue components with digital control/Midi crossed with a THD Univalve as it can run anything from EL84 to KT88's/valve version of a Kemper.  

From the video the clean tones seem pretty decent but the distorted ones seem less inspiring. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1257
    I think it looks like an interesting product.  

Seems like a Chase Bliss of amps, analogue components with digital control/Midi crossed with a THD Univalve as it can run anything from EL84 to KT88's/valve version of a Kemper.  

From the video the clean tones seem pretty decent but the distorted ones seem less inspiring. 
    If it's as configurable as the originbal kickstarter campaign suggests then there's probably a lot of really, really good sounds andf a lot of really, really awful ones lurking, as such I think you're probably looking at a serious learning curve to get the best out of it and a short video from someone who may not be fully up to speed really isn't going to do it any favours.

If my understanding of the concept is correct then the level of configurability goes way, way, way beyond even the most complicated Mesa stuff, and it's more like Positive Grid's BIAS Amp app with real components...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • steersteer Frets: 1186
    edited July 2017
    I know nothing about this amp, but are Joyo not best known for producing cheap and cheerful pedals?

The snob in me would not want to pay over a grand for an amp with their name on it, anymore than I would want to pay a hundred grand for a supercar made by Lada, when I could get a Ferrari at the same price.

Does that make me a bad person?   s
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    That weird German nobber did a review of this couple months ago if you really, really need to hear it...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    clarkefan said:
    That weird German nobber did a review of this couple months ago if you really, really need to hear it...
    I googled 'German nobber' and I have to say I was quite shocked at what turned up on my screen.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That's... interesting.

The amp, not the picture that comes up when you google German nobber..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    edited July 2017
    What, did I invent a new word? Would bellend make more sense?
    clarkefan said:
    What, did I invent a new word? Would bellend make more sense?
    That would probably be even more disturbing.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7824
    That's a lot of knobs.  I like my amps with three knobs max, and one REALLY great tone.   The more tones amps offer, the less rewarding I find them.   I've had Flexone amps, went back to 5E3 pretty quickly.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    clarkefan said:
    I knew who you meant immediately.
    I'll pass thanks, I can't stand 10 seconds of that guy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    steer said:
    I know nothing about this amp, but are Joyo not best known for producing cheap and cheerful pedals?

The snob in me would not want to pay over a grand for an amp with their name on it, anymore than I would want to pay a hundred grand for a supercar made by Lada, when I could get a Ferrari at the same price.

Does that make me a bad person?   s
    No, that makes perfect sense to me but it has to be said that brands and their perceived quality don't always stack up.
    For example, Mesa makes great amps but that's all. Anything else with their name on isn't so great and the perception from their amp reputation fooled me. It won't happen again so maybe there's something to this new amp but it would be a cold day in hell before I give Joyo that much money for anything.
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16081
    Alnico said:
    clarkefan said:
    Poor old Henning .......I like him but he does go on and on and on ............the only thing I can't stand is how he slurps from that oversize coffee mug continually ...........he does have some kind of endorsement with JOYO 
     Bless,he does think his jokes are very funny ................However I would be very pleased to speak German as good as his colloquial English
    Dominic said:
    Alnico said:
    clarkefan said:
    Poor old Henning .......I like him but he does go on and on and on ............the only thing I can't stand is how he slurps from that oversize coffee mug continually ...........he does have some kind of endorsement with JOYO 
     Bless,he does think his jokes are very funny ................However I would be very pleased to speak German as good as his colloquial English
    Yeah fair play his English language is very good.